Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best in cabinet/under cabinet puck lights

Blog Entries

Best in cabinet/under cabinet puck lights

Looking for a suggestion on under cabinet (flush mount) 12-24v puck lights. Cost isn't a issue. Ideally something with a separate paint able or white bezel.

I was considered the hafele loox line.

Anything I should stear clear of?

LooX are really good
    Tresco makes a solid product.
    Hera is really good too - but hard to get a hold of.
    L&S has great products too. Not widely know though.

None have paintable bezels. Wouldn't even consider other brands.

FWIW
    Circular, puck lights are becoming passe these days. Linear, full width recessed LEDs are where everyone is headed.

FWIW
    Circular, puck lights are becoming passe these days. Linear, full width recessed LEDs are where everyone is headed.[/QUOTE]

Dave, any recommendations for the latter?? Thank you, Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    LooX are really good
    Tresco makes a solid product.
    Hera is really good too - but hard to get a hold of.
    L&S has great products too. Not widely know though.

None have paintable bezels. Wouldn't even consider other brands.

FWIW
    Circular, puck lights are becoming passe these days. Linear, full width recessed LEDs are where everyone is headed.
    I don't think led strips would look right in this application (specifically talking under cabinet) though I agree on the interior lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    FWIW
    Dave, any recommendations for the latter?? Thank you, Patrick

same as above , all 4 have numerous LED options.

I don't think led strips would look right in this application (specifically talking under cabinet) though I agree on the interior lighting.
    To each his own. However, under the cabinet is where recessed linear lights shine; so to speak. Inside a cabinet with a glass door is where one might want a cone of light that a puck produces , for dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    We have LED strip lights under cabinet and we like them. It makes for a very evenly lit counter surface. We had halogen puck lights previously, our cat still misses the Halogen lights in the wintertime. Those little suckers got WARM, he liked it. I just bought a couple 16' rolls of LED light strips and a 12 volt power supply. This was back when there was not the huge selection of LED lighting options there are today. The self adhesive tapes were stuck to white strips of wood (2 tapes in parallel) with jumper wires soldered as required. The strips of wood were simply screwed to the bottom of the cabinets. Anyone would have to squat down to see them so I didn't worry too much about a finished look. We did use 2 LED pucks over the sink. We're still quite happy with the result today.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-09-2022 at 9:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    same as above , all 4 have numerous LED options.

To each his own. However, under the cabinet is where recessed linear lights shine; so to speak. Inside a cabinet with a glass door is where one might want a cone of light that a puck produces , for dramatic effect.
    This kitchen only has 2 upper units, and those have flush false panel bottoms. I dont see an way to conceal the linear strips, thoughthay may just be my ignorance. I had actually gone back and forth about any under cabinet lights and decided against, but with them installed I'm second guessing again.

My plan was 2 pucks under each upper.
    20220109_092841.jpg

Read all this with interest. Just added a couple more undercounter lights in my kithen. Stuck with the flouresent that matched my others that are 13 years old, was surprised you could still get them. I'll have to eventually find a way to make myself warm up to the led's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    This kitchen only has 2 upper units, and those have flush false panel bottoms. I dont see an way to conceal the linear strips, thoughthay may just be my ignorance. I had actually gone back and forth about any under cabinet lights and decided against, but with them installed I'm second guessing again.

My plan was 2 pucks under each upper.
    20220109_092841.jpg
    Flush bottoms would not work with what I did. Our cabinet bottoms are recessed about 1 1/2" so the 'works' are not really visible. Amazon has some pretty low profile devices but there's wire running between them.

Dave Sabo, thank you kindly. Patrick

Blog Entries
    I went w/ DALS for a project of mine and I thought it felt and looked fairly high quality.

This kitchen only has 2 upper units, and those have flush false panel bottoms. I dont see an way to conceal the linear strips, though thay may just be my ignorance. I had actually gone back and forth about any under cabinet lights and decided against, but with them installed I'm second guessing again.
    How are you planning on concealing the puck lights ?

Stuck with the flouresent that matched my others that are 13 years old, was surprised you could still get them. I'll have to eventually find a way to make myself warm up to the led's.
    LED lites can be tuned to provide warm or cool light. Matching fluorescent color is pretty easy.

Flush bottoms would not work with what I did
    With a bit of planning , one can recess lights into a "flush" bottom cabinet. Doesn't matter if it's strip or puck, round, square or rectangle. Or whether they are LED, Halogen, Xenon, or Fluorescent.

Blog Entries
    How are you planning on concealing the puck lights ?
    They won't be concealed, or at least the bezel won't. I haven't installed the flush panels yet specifically because of the lighting.

My thought was to do a version of this.
    Screenshot_20220109-211514_Instagram.jpg

It's a traditional looking kitchen. Strips of any sort just seem out of place. The hood already has two puck lights that are part of the vent insert. I'd be happy to reconsider the strips if I'm missing something here.
    20220109_212605.jpg

20220109_212544.jpg

Blog Entries
    I'm with you. There are still needs for puck lighting because of how the light looks. The puck lights can also be LED to ensure the color changing ability.

Just because everyone else is getting LED strips doesn't mean they are automatically the best choice.

15. WAC Lighting makes a quality product, have used them several times. They have a nicely machined channel that can be recessed.