I've got an empire vented propane heater, Housewarmer series (HWDV181DV) in my shop for about 10 years. I typically have to clean out the pilot and insides before each winter, but this time i had to buy a new pilot. Now the pilot will light, but it's an orange flame and i get a lot of carbon build up on the electrode. The main burner produces a blue flame, so that seems to be working correctly. I believe my air intake is not a problem. So i'm thinking the main issue is perhaps too much propane flow to the pilot? I made sure to buy a LP pilot and not a natural gas. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? things to check? Or perhaps there is a way to reduce the gas flow at the valve? Below is a parts diagram pic of the gas valve, but i could take a photo if that helps.

Also, how long do people see these units lasting? This is 11 years old at this point and the inside is getting rusty. I only use it about 3 months out of the year. I'm thinking of a mini-split eventually for heating and cooling, but don't want to spend the money right now.