Thread: Rubio Monocoat on Kitchen Cabinets

Rubio Monocoat on Kitchen Cabinets

Hey Everyone. I have a large kitchen cabinet project with white oak. I typically use general finishes high performance water based top coat with good success. I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience using Rubio Monocoat on kitchen cabinets?

I would think it would do well since its made for hardwood floors, but I haven't really been able to find much online about using it on kitchen cabinets. Appreciate any feedback.

"Protection" aside, will you be happy with a very matte finish for your cabinets? That's kinda the rub, pardon the expression, with these types of finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "Protection" aside, will you be happy with a very matte finish for your cabinets? That's kinda the rub, pardon the expression, with these types of finishes.

Yea that's one of issues I have with it. One of the reasons I was leaning towards it was that it is a one coat finish. However as Im doing more research on the product it seems likes its not really a one coat finish that it states. Looks like there is some maintenance required with it as well with the maintenance oil.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Prior View Post
    Yea that's one of issues I have with it. One of the reasons I was leaning towards it was that it is a one coat finish. However as Im doing more research on the product it seems likes its not really a one coat finish that it states. Looks like there is some maintenance required with it as well with the maintenance oil.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've used it on a couple of projects now and, yes, I used one and only one coat, exactly as Rubio Monocoat describes. Maintenance is zero unless you need to do a repair. You can use Maintenance Oil to increase the shine, but that's not a requirement. Where are you doing your research?

I'm not advocating one way or the other for RM as a kitchen cabinet finish; only giving you information consistent with RM's literature.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've used it on a couple of projects now and, yes, I used one and only one coat, exactly as Rubio Monocoat describes. Maintenance is zero unless you need to do a repair. You can use Maintenance Oil to increase the shine, but that's not a requirement. Where are you doing your research?

I'm not advocating one way or the other for RM as a kitchen cabinet finish; only giving you information consistent with RM's literature.

John
    I read various forums and watched several videos trying to get a better understanding of the product. It seemed like people did multiple coats and used the maintenance oil to get a smoother finish and add some sheen. It does seem like its easy to apply and repair, which is obviously a plus. There were several posts mentioning ongoing care if used on cabinets. Im not sure how thats the case if this product is intended to be used on hardwood floors. I cant think of much else that gets more abuse than a hardwood floor. Thats why Im asking the question though, thanks for the input.

I read various forums and watched several videos trying to get a better understanding of the product. It seemed like people did multiple coats and used the maintenance oil to get a smoother finish and add some sheen. It does seem like its easy to apply and repair, which is obviously a plus. There were several posts mentioning ongoing care if used on cabinets. Im not sure how thats the case if this product is intended to be used on hardwood floors. I cant think of much else that gets more abuse than a hardwood floor. Thats why Im asking the question though, thanks for the input.
    Best to use the product as it was meant to be. If that won't give the appearance you're after than another product would be a better choice. Osmo oil, which does require two coats, comes in satin and gloss, maybe semi-gloss, too, can't remember.

John

Thanks for the feedback.

That's the beauty of it, then it needs refreshed you just clean it with their cleaner (btw, that's the only thing you should be using to clean it aside from clean water), then wipe more of the oil plus 2C, or the Renew or the maintenance oil.

One caveat with the Mait. oil, if you use it and do not like the shinier sheen (it ain't much, I think 10-15% more), you need to wait at least 1 month before reapplying the renew or 2c as it might have issues with bonding.

The other most important thing here is you must use their cleaner, I know people are using MS but MS leaves a residue that could cause issues with bonding so it's not worth it. on the surface it seems expensive but the cleaner will clean like 800-100 sqft. and it needs to be clean, if there is dust on the surface the Rubio will bond to that instead of the wood fiber leading to durability issues like needing to freshen it up sooner than later, it may look ok but it isn't.

It is one coat but I get better results with two and here is how I do it.
    1. Sand to max 180 (anymore and you risk closing up the grain too much for it to bond to the fibers)
    2. Clean with their cleaner
    3. Apply the 2(part a and b)
    4. Wipe off all of it, and I mean all of it. you should be sweating
    5. Wait 24-48hrs
    6. Rub with the grain using a marron scotch brite, wipe with clean towel (no cleaner needed)
    7. Apply the 2(part a and b)
    8. Wipe off all of it, and I mean all of it. you should be sweating

You will end up with a sheen somewhere around satin

One place it is not great is where chemicals, alcohol ect. like a bathroom vanity, I actually am building some WO vanities right now and will use it but it's for my house and am curious to see how well it does long term.

it is a specific look, i don't like film finishes because they generally look like plastic, this is a more natural look and super easy and quick to apply.