Thread: 3 way joint question

3 way joint question

I’m making small cabinets and my preference is a wood frame with plywood inside. To be more specific, I want to make a 6 sides frame with 1x2, dado the inside, and put plywood inside 5 faces.

So the question is how to joint the corners. The issue is if I use a Domino the domino from the top is going to run into the domino from the side. In the past I’ve offset the Dominos to miss each other but that definitely weakens the joint (I have to use smaller Dominos).

I’ve looked around and seen very complex joints that I have no prayer of making. I have seen a joint with 45º joints going each way. I just feel like there should be an obvious way to loose tenon (Domino) butt joints going up and to the side.

Am I missing something or no, it’s really not a good joint.

Posting a sketch or drawing will draw better responses.

You could approach it as separate frames joined together, in which case the joints between the frames would be mainly for registration and located away from the corners. The frames could be miterfolded together, perhaps with the back let in. It could also be done with corner posts, in which case 2x2's might be more practical. The glueup would have to be done in stages in any case. 3 way splined miters would be sweet, but exacting.

It will be plenty strong if you just glue the plywood panels into the rabbets without anything special at the corners: the plywood is part of the structure and there's no need for most of the frame to be strong without it. The front corners don't have the back to keep them square, so a loose tenon there could be helpful.

My woodshop teacher in 1969 kept me from using my planned elaborate corner joints in a similar situation.

the grey ovals are where I want to put the dominos. I suppose making 5 sides and fastening them together makes sense. I was just thinking of a single 1x2 with two dados for two sides.

thanks

I still don't see a picture.

Not uploading the picture, not sure why not. I’ve uploaded before

Just gluing the panel to the frame members is plenty strong. Dominoes are way overkill, though a few may aid in alignment.