Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Buy new now or wait

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    Market changing events are like red meat for manufacturers/suppliers. As soon as something like a broad based shortage of materials occurs with understandable increases in pricing, the door is suddenly opened to establish a new baseline. When the shortage passes, buyers are very often already accepting of the increases.
    yep. I see this often. The material cost for the metal in a machine goes from $75 to $153 or about 2x, so the saw price must increase from $2500 to $5000... because that would be 2x to cover the extra 78 bucks for the cast iron. Every time I hear about the material costs having a major effect on the price increase I just roll my eyes. Of course it is a combination of many things that result in the price increases but the actual price changes of these machines are most often substantially higher than the costs to keep the lights on. Greedflation is what I see it as. In the construction industry, when the tariffs hit cast iron plumbing pipes the domestic producers (charlotte pipe) just raised their prices so that they could make more money. The costs of the imported Chinese and the domestic pipe remained about the same delta. Charlotte pipe could have been aggressive and kept their material prices down and cornered the market (potentially killing off their competitors) but they opted for the quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Wheeler View Post
    yep. I see this often. The material cost for the metal in a machine goes from $75 to $153 or about 2x, so the saw price must increase from $2500 to $5000... because that would be 2x to cover the extra 78 bucks for the cast iron. Every time I hear about the material costs having a major effect on the price increase I just roll my eyes. Of course it is a combination of many things that result in the price increases but the actual price changes of these machines are most often substantially higher than the costs to keep the lights on. Greedflation is what I see it as. In the construction industry, when the tariffs hit cast iron plumbing pipes the domestic producers (charlotte pipe) just raised their prices so that they could make more money. The costs of the imported Chinese and the domestic pipe remained about the same delta. Charlotte pipe could have been aggressive and kept their material prices down and cornered the market (potentially killing off their competitors) but they opted for the quick buck.
    This is the same issue you have when you buy a car or build a house. When you add any kind of upgrade, they don't remove the cost for what you are replacing. So if the base price of your house is 300,000 and you ask for a kitchen upgrade that has 20,000 cabinets, replacing the $10,000 base cabinets. So basically you paid for both sets.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Don’t wait. Prices may level off but as most have said that they never come down. When I moved to Atlanta a couple years ago I had to unload my MM16, DJ20, delta unisaw, and my wood stash.

I have some bench top machines that Im slowly replacing and just purchased and awaiting my newest Joiner/Planer a Hammer A3-41. Not only did it cost 5 times what I paid for my DJ20 twenty years ago but I have to wait 3months for it to arrive.

Thank God I kept my Festools.

Never let a good crisis go to waste as the saying goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Don’t wait. Prices may level off but as most have said that they never come down. When I moved to Atlanta a couple years ago I had to unload my MM16, DJ20, delta unisaw, and my wood stash.

I have some bench top machines that Im slowly replacing and just purchased and awaiting my newest Joiner/Planer a Hammer A3-41. Not only did it cost 5 times what I paid for my DJ20 twenty years ago but I have to wait 3months for it to arrive.

Thank God I kept my Festools.
    They might not officially lower the price but I am fairly certain that more special sales prices and or rebates will be coming. At any rate, I lucked out on a fantastic deal on a lightly used mint condition MM20 BS. That was the last of my major machine upgrades for my shop. I no longer need to cringe at the crazy prices of new machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Wheeler View Post
    They might not officially lower the price but I am fairly certain that more special sales prices and or rebates will be coming. At any rate, I lucked out on a fantastic deal on a lightly used mint condition MM20 BS. That was the last of my major machine upgrades for my shop. I no longer need to cringe at the crazy prices of new machines.
    Good luck with your new wheels, Mr Wheeler!
    For those who'd like to see, a "Centauro SPA" channel is on YT, and has uploaded some brief glimpses of the factory.
    I took a snapshot, quite impressive the amount of wheels being cast.
    https://youtu.be/5rOeFRasJ84
    Screenshot from Centauro Fonderia Centauro Foundry.mp4.jpg

Saw a 10% off promotion for Jet/Powermatic a few days ago which I haven’t seen run in a year or two. Is this the beginning?

Powermatic will come after the Jet promotion. Disappointingly though, Jet only has 10% off bandsaws...pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Powermatic will come after the Jet promotion. Disappointingly though, Jet only has 10% off bandsaws...pass.
    Rikon has a 15% sale next week, at least thru Woodcraft.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Laguna also has 10% off, but only on their higher priced industrial band saws and CNC. Sawstop also is running a promo for a free accessory. So maybe a good sign that the inventory is up and the promo's are needed to get buyers. But also with interest rates rising and some fears of a recession, people slow down in non-essential purchases. A few month of soft sales will start hurting a company pretty fast, triggering sales, promos, etc. It isn't necessarily a good thing from an overall economic standpoint, but good for a few who save some coin on their new toy.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!