Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time For Some Cast Iron Clean-Up

Time For Some Cast Iron Clean-Up

l usually clean my cast iron tool tops with WD-40 and an abrasive pad on a retired random orbit sander. Does a fine job. After wiping off the excess WD-40 I usually let it go at just that. This time, however, I want to finish up with Johnson Paste wax, and have a simple question.

1. Is it necessary to strip the WD-40 residue remaining on the tops with a solvent before using the Johnson Paste wax? Thanks

No idea if it is a must to remove the WD-40 but I recommend it. A clean surface will allow the wax to adhere better. Your big problem might be using Johnson Paste Wax, unless you have some on hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    No idea if it is a must to remove the WD-40 but I recommend it. A clean surface will allow the wax to adhere better. Your big problem might be using Johnson Paste Wax, unless you have some on hand.
    Yes, the old reliable Johnson Paste Wax is getting extremely hard to find or really expensive.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

WD-40 is a water based product, I never use it on cast iron. I use an abrasive pad to clean the surface and then apply Johnson's Paste wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    WD-40 is a water based product, I never use it on cast iron. I use an abrasive pad to clean the surface and then apply Johnson's Paste wax.

Hmm, if that were the case, it would be using water to displace water.

I’ve always heard that WD40 is hygroscopic and can attract moisture, but apparently the WD stands for Water Displacement. Regardless, I use Boeshield T9 on my cast iron and it has always kept rust in check. I’ve never stripped it off before waxing. I simply allow it to sit for a day or two and wipe it as clean as possible before wax.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-01-2023 at 8:26 PM.

WD40 is petroluem based, mainly diesel fuel. I like Dupont chain saver spray lube.
    Jonhsons paste wax is no longer made.
    Bill D

An alternative to paste wax, is paraffin. Using a box grater, shred some wax, then dissolve it over night in some deodorized mineral spirits. Place mixture in spray bottle, and spray top. While it's wet, wipe to uniformly apply to top. Be sure to get into miter slots. Let dry, than buff with a dry cloth. Slicker than a soap makers back side, and no rust. Reapply annually. A single bar of wax will last you for years when used this way

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    An alternative to paste wax, is paraffin. Using a box grater, shred some wax, then dissolve it over night in some deodorized mineral spirits. Place mixture in spray bottle, and spray top. While it's wet, wipe to uniformly apply to top. Be sure to get into miter slots. Let dry, than buff with a dry cloth. Slicker than a soap makers back side, and no rust. Reapply annually. A single bar of wax will last you for years when used this way
    How much paraffin to how much mineral spirits?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

10. I have been using a different brand paste wax with great results. I don't know if it's available everywhere, but around our parts it's easily found.

https://www.minwax.com/en/products/s...-finishing-wax

Is this different fro the Johnson Paste Wax mentioned above? It's available on Amazon

This is what I've been using for last 6 years or so. Never could find the Johnson's stuff.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/c...OHNQCsTKNgBoP8

https://www.hfstaples.com/shop/paste-wax/
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-02-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Company announced it is no longer being manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Yes, the old reliable Johnson Paste Wax is getting extremely hard to find or really expensive.
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Is this different fro the Johnson Paste Wax mentioned above? It's available on Amazon

I have used Minwax finishing wax for years. It is easy to apply and works great.
    Charlie Jones

Bummer on the Johnson paste wax, been using out of the same can for 40 years. Not humid in Central calif, so don't use it to often.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)