Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1) What 4" T-Square and Rulers to get? 2) Powermatic Spiral head Upgrade in 3 weeks!

1) What 4" T-Square and Rulers to get? 2) Powermatic Spiral head Upgrade in 3 weeks!

First question:

What good 4" T-square is worth getting? Woodpeckers are expensive but I know they are an option. My tape measures aren't cutting it and sometimes can't get into the location I want them in. I've seen guys using small T-squares and rulers and looking for brands to check out.

Second:

After debating selling my Powermatic 16" Planer and buying a 20" spiral, I've decided to upgrade it with a Byrd head. My Powermatic is heavy and has a variable 15-37 fpm feed rate. Aside from spending big $$$, there wasn't a 20" spiral planer under $5k that was heavy and didn't have only have two fixed feed rates. Also, more wold have been out of my pocket for a new machine than upgrading mine. So in 3 weeks, the new spiral head arrives. I've watched two youtubes on how to remove the head, it's gonna be a job and time consuming but looks fun.

13052b.jpg

When I got my 160 I relaced the cutterhead bearings. It was pretty straightforward as I recall.

$1,600 and an afternoon seems like a reasonable investment in a solid machine. I'm pretty happy with the onboard grinder and a 10* face bevel but touchups do take some time. Reading this thread made me a little more skeptical of Byrd heads but there seem to be many happy users. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....d-difficulties Did you price a Hermance head?

Some have reported greater power demand and thus less possible depth of cut with spiral heads. I would be interested to know if you find that to be the case.

be sure to get a quote for a Hermance head way better but will be more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    First question:

What good 4" T-square is worth getting? Woodpeckers are expensive but I know they are an option. My tape measures aren't cutting it and sometimes can't get into the location I want them in. I've seen guys using small T-squares and rulers and looking for brands to check out.

Second:

After debating selling my Powermatic 16" Planer and buying a 20" spiral, I've decided to upgrade it with a Byrd head. My Powermatic is heavy and has a variable 15-37 fpm feed rate. Aside from spending big $$$, there wasn't a 20" spiral planer under $5k that was heavy and didn't have only have two fixed feed rates. Also, more wold have been out of my pocket for a new machine than upgrading mine. So in 3 weeks, the new spiral head arrives. I've watched two youtubes on how to remove the head, it's gonna be a job and time consuming but looks fun.

13052b.jpg

Starrett.

Woodpeckers is great also.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    First question:

I use a couple of starrett 4" double squares all the time for layout. But I see they've doubled in price since I bought mine. Lee Valley has their brand of 4" squares and I would be inclined to go with those if buying new.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I rely on the Woodpeckers ones. Multiple sizes.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Not a square, but I use a Starrett 4" and 6" scale for measuring all the time. If you google "C604E-4" you'll see the 4" version.

I use the Veritas precision square probably more than anything but also have Starrett combination and engineers squares, as well as many other quality brands and types of squares. The small precision square is a 3”x6” L shape, like a mini framing square and has 16ths on one edge and 32nds on the other. In addition to checking thing for square, I often use it as you would a 6” rule and often use it for machine setups. I have 2 of the small ones and wouldn’t mind having 2 of the large ones.
    Still waters run deep.

Are you talking about perforated t squares like this for marking? https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers...more%20rows%20
    Incra makes something similar. https://www.rockler.com/incra-precis...f9f7a977d1367d

I mainly use a 6" rule with end grads and 6" and 12" adjustable squares from Starrett and Mitutoyo. I have a double square but without the beveled head it is easy to get reversed on measurements close to the center.

10. Agreed on 6" Starrett rule with end graduations. Very handy for everything and end grads are nice for table saw, shaper and router set ups. Also use a Starrett combo squares (12" and 4") and woodpecker 2616 framing square. It's really worth it to have squares that are actually square and those all fit the bill for me

another vote for (anything) Starrett, the quality of their products and customer service are outstanding. I also much prefer the satin finish on the rulers as they're much easier to read

Another vote for Woodpeckers. Great tools !

I've had a few Starrett's for 20 years. Can't go wrong with them. Pass them on to grandkids, if you want. With that in mind, an old Starrett is as good as a new one, so if you can locate one. I have the Lee Valley 4", too. I like it. I have a Woodpeckers 12" 1281 One Time, but it's too big and cumbersome vs. the Starrett 12". I actually use my Starrett 6" the most. I notched one end of it in the middle for my pencil with a tiny file cut, so I can pull a line.

PEC tools. They are pretty good and moderately priced. They are made in the USA by Products Engineering Corporation (PEC Tools) if that is of import. I get them at Harry Epstein or Taytools. If you do not mind, you can buy blemished as well (I put additional blemishes on mine so I don't mind). I like their rules too.

I did not know anyone made a four inch tee square. Do you mean a four foot tee square? From the responses people seem to think you mean a try square or adjustable square.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-08-2022 at 8:13 AM.