Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jet bandsaw damaged again during shipment

So I got this saw off the pallet and found out its missing some parts too. How retarded.

Why you cant you just buy already assembled items from the store?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Whenever possible, I suggest this ^^^

Not defending Jet but the damage is not their fault. We are all struggling with more freight damage than ever, these days. All the LTL carriers are under-staffed, over-worked, and much new/inexperienced labor. We (consumers) just happen to be at the unfortunate end of that chain. In our experience, the damage is occurring between the local terminal and the customer’s address. Machines not strapped into box truck properly, etc. Whatever the cost and hassle involved with bringing a trailer to the local freight dock, it’s worth it. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Erik
    This is jets fault. You can't place a 400 pound item on a pallet that has 5/16" thick wood where there is 100psi of downward force on each leg. The legs will punch through when the truck hits bumps going down the road. You also can't make a frame out of that same wood, toe nail it together then throw a cardboard box over it. Build the crate expecting it to get bumped around a bit.

When buying 2nd (or 3rd) tier machinery you just can't be too fussy about expecting a pristine machine. Transporting it yourself can help.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I contacted jet and they sent me all the replacement parts I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I contacted jet and they sent me all the replacement parts I needed.
    I'm sure you've already figured this out but make sure you use it enough to be certain nothing else is bent, damaged or out of spec. I'd probably get a good blade and make sure you can rip or resaw without having to apply "kentucky windage" to the workpiece to get it to cut straight.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    When buying 2nd (or 3rd) tier machinery you just can't be too fussy about expecting a pristine machine. Transporting it yourself can help.
    Is jet considered 2nd 3rd tier? Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Is jet considered 2nd 3rd tier? Brian
    2nd or 3rd tier, depending on which machine.

It's interesting that we should just simply roll over and accept shipping damage, based on the cost.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    It's interesting that we should just simply roll over and accept shipping damage, based on the cost.
    How many times can you expect to have the same cheaply-made machine replaced for cosmetic issues?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    How many times can you expect to have the same cheaply-made machine replaced for cosmetic issues?
    You gonna pay for it? The Jet really wasn't made any cheaper than the Delta they cloned it off of. To be honest. Other than the motor.

edit: and the build quality really didn't affect the shipping issues.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 01-11-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

My point of course is that, if one is willing to settle for a lower tier machine, why be so concerned about cosmetics? Your cheap machine has a scratch or dent on it--so what?

Andy your points are not very nice. Why should a machine that is not the very top of the heap and the person buying that machine be expected to settle for less than a guy buying anything else ? "Tiers" has nothing to do with it. I understand people wanting a new machine to look like a new machine. Clearly this bandsaw has been shipped with a pallet not up to the task .

Congratulations - finally. I would have blown a gasket at least once.

So here's a funny twist on shipping companies. I looked into shipping a machine from my house to someone in TX. I checked rates at both FedEx and UPS. I entered an arbitrary date of 1/10/22 as the pickup date. I got my quotes from both companies and the potential buyer said no thank you. I figured that was the end of it. Yesterday, 1/10/22, there's a knock at my front door. I look out the window and here's a 40 ft UPS semi at the end of my driveway. I open the door and ask the driver what's up and he said he was there to pick up a pallet with a 250 lb load. It took me a second to put 2 and 2 together. I told him I was just looking at rates and I had no machine to ship. He seemed OK with it and said it wasn't the first time it had happened. I checked my UPS account afterwards and it shows nothing. Short staffed, stretched thin, under trained; I don't know which it is or if it's all of them, but shipping companies are having a rough time of it.

John

I was just going to pound the legs of the base to straighten them out on the first saw, but then I realized the metal was fairly thick and two of the legs were twisted, so I decided to let them swap it out. This time the base is okay, but th fan shroud and fan motor was smashed, and a couple adjustment knobs were busted off and I realized that each saw is going to come with some sort of shipping damage because the factory sends them out in these flimsy pallets. It's not the distributor or really the shipping companies fault.