Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my 2022 Grizzly catalog and WOW

Got my 2022 Grizzly catalog and WOW

Anyone compared prices in the new Grizzly catalog to 2021?

John

Supply chains have gone mad. I haven't compared any prices specifically, but I don't think I'll be upgrading my bandsaw anytime soon.

My guess is the prices went up significantly? Makes sense with everything going on. The only company that held their price, but I hearing they are about to spike also is SawStop. I think they went up in 2020 about 10%. All the other tool companies I have been looking at also went up like made. Laguna is up 25+% depending on the tool. My 14BX saw was 1499 and just spiked to 1999. That is a 33% jump.

The same holds true in other markets. Try buying a graphics card right now. Some wishful thinking - in 6 months the chip market should catch up and they will overproduce and in 1 year, the market will be so flooded, they will have to give them away.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I was leaning toward picking up a bunch of Grizzly tools before year end, and happened to be driving from Vancouver to Seattle, so I stopped in their Bellingham show room. Picked up their latest printed catalog, and the current online prices were a big jump above the current printed catalog. I asked for a 10% discount if I bought $15k worth of tools, wiring all cash before 12/31, and they barely offered 4%. Pass.

The Laguna 16" helical planer that I ordered in July for $3,750 finally came in last week. Somewhere between last July and today they bumped the price to $4,600. Yikes. Glad I got the old price, but doubt I'll be buying many/any new tools if this is the new normal.

Prices just got raised again this week. I was thinking of their 12" jointer planer for the longest, and bought at 3300 last month. They just raised it to 4k a few days ago.

Their Southbend 20" planer started at ~3895 or so, and now it's up to ~$5300. But you can't fault Grizzly. Machinery has gone crazy the last 18 months.

I bought a 25x2 Supermax at $2699 18 months ago. Now it's $4000. Jet, Powermatic, Baleigh, Laguna. Doesn't matter.

Grizzly usually is always passing out 5% coupons via email. Just create a new email address and not hard to get.

I'm sure other companies have raised their prices, too; it's just that Grizzly's catalogs make it easy to compare from one year to the next. I bought a G0636X bandsaw from them around 5 years ago for $2750 I think, but that might have included shipping. In the 2021 catalog it was $2795; in the 2022 one it's over $4100. Lots of other machines have $1000+ increases.

The supply chain is all hosed up and companies absolutely need to make a reasonable profit to survive and prosper, but these increases seem excessive. I'm sure other companies are doing it, too; Grizzly has to stay competitive. It might have been good PR had Grizzly included a note or letter from the president or CFO as to why they had to raise prices so much. Maybe there is something to that effect on their website; I haven't looked. When the supply chain sorts itself out, I'll be interested to see how much price reduction there is in these new prices.

I'm happy I don't need any new traditional wood working machines.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post

The same holds true in other markets. Try buying a graphics card right now. Some wishful thinking - in 6 months the chip market should catch up and they will overproduce and in 1 year, the market will be so flooded, they will have to give them away.
    The last estimate I saw for bicycle components was two more years, at least, before normalization.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Well the inflation rate went out about 7%. But limited supply and high demand they are jumping prices 25+ percent. It's really just going to trigger people not to buy.

Well the inflation rate went out about 7%. But limited supply and high demand they are jumping prices 25+ percent. It's really just going to trigger people not to buy.
    True, but consumables are trending at the same rate.

So, you either buy, or stop doing what you enjoy.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Hey, as of today (1/7), looks like only 19 ships waiting off the port of Los Angeles. That's a lot better than pre Christmas (96!).

Andrew, my son in law tells me that there’s fewer ships in harbour waiting, but a lot are diverting to Seattle or waiting further off-shore.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Actually, sales were way up in 2021, if I remember correctly Felder added 200 people to the factory in Hall in 2021 to help keep up with demand.

All the manufacturers are in the same boat, customers come in, pay asking price and don’t faint when they’re told that it will be 6 months or more for their machine to arrive.

Wood working shops are running flat out to keep with customer orders, and the hobby guys are buying like crazy because they have all the disposable income due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Regards, Rod.

That probably has as much to do with the price increases as inflation, or even supply chain issues, Rod. Whenever demand exceeded our capacity back in my corporate industry days we increased prices until demand fell in line with capacity. Of course the pendulum always swings the other way at some point. I bet there will be some real bargains for almost anything you want in a few years, as people go back to buying experiences instead of physical things.

John

That drop is likely due to post holiday seasonality also.