Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got my 2022 Grizzly catalog and WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Actually, sales were way up in 2021, if I remember correctly Felder added 200 people to the factory in Hall in 2021 to help keep up with demand.

All the manufacturers are in the same boat, customers come in, pay asking price and don’t faint when they’re told that it will be 6 months or more for their machine to arrive.

Wood working shops are running flat out to keep with customer orders, and the hobby guys are buying like crazy because they have all the disposable income due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Regards, Rod.
    Of course sales were up. People at home from covid looking for things to do, hobbies etc. People also spending time remodeling, and that triggers a rise in need from wood flooring, cabinets and furniture, as well as everything else you can imaging. Disposable income, yes for some who saved on commute, vacation and entertainment. But that extra income got eaten right up with the rise in basic living costs from food to toilet paper. Demand for manufactured goods went up based on the lack of supply. The past 2 years are an economists dream study case. While some had disposable income, many others had no jobs!!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Justin, I agree with everything you said except for the demand, it didn’t go up due to lack of supply, many more machines were produced and sold than in previous years……Regards, Rod.

In addition to the supply / demand forces this may be a chance for Grizzly to establish themselves as a more premium brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Well the inflation rate went out about 7%. But limited supply and high demand they are jumping prices 25+ percent. It's really just going to trigger people not to buy.
    2800 to 4100 is a wee bit more than a 25% jump. It's $100 shy of a 50% jump. OP's right. These are obscene!

I saved a 2018 catalog just so I could see how much more something I might want is compared to then. I don't think I got a 2021 catalog but I still have my 2020 one in the reading room (where the porcelain thrown is). First thing I noticed is the 2022 catalog is quite a bit thinner. Some items dropped in price before going back up. The 1033X planer was $3600 but dropped to $3000 before going to $4200 now. Shipping has gone up too. If I was wanting to get out of woodworking I actually think I could make a profit on selling my tools. I told the wife that buying used woodworking tools isn't an investment that will go up but as long as they are in good shape they will sell for close to what I paid.

Blog Entries
    I bought a shopfox w1770 ( 21" bandsaw) for 2k in 2017? It's $4200 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    In addition to the supply / demand forces this may be a chance for Grizzly to establish themselves as a more premium brand.
    Premium usually means something has unique features, higher precision, higher quality. Grizzly's addition of the South Bend line of machines may be directed towards that objective. Increasing prices on machines they've been selling for many years, without tangible improvement, does not.

John

Wow! I remember going up to Bellingham and looking over the 5ph 21" Bandsaw the week that COVID hit in March. The showroom was limited employees, but I was able to go hands-on over the various ones. I ordered one the week later and then I haven't used it as much as I'd thought I would. Looks like I saved a bundle (about $1K!)

And I got an email from Grizzly today with some items on sale for $400 to $500 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Of course sales were up. People at home from covid looking for things to do, hobbies etc. People also spending time remodeling, and that triggers a rise in need from wood flooring, cabinets and furniture, as well as everything else you can imaging. Disposable income, yes for some who saved on commute, vacation and entertainment. But that extra income got eaten right up with the rise in basic living costs from food to toilet paper. Demand for manufactured goods went up based on the lack of supply. The past 2 years are an economists dream study case. While some had disposable income, many others had no jobs!!
    The no jobs thing has me bewildered. Everywhere I go in this part of the country there are places begging for help. I'm not talking about minimum wage jobs either. Many starting over $20 an hour with full benefits. I'm not saying that's a fantastic wage but it aint shabby for some either. Yes there have been businesses close because of the pandemic but anyone in these parts that wants a job can find one without a lot of effort.

As for Grizzly raising prices. It looks like everyone has. A 12" Powermatic Jointer is $7100. 1500 over equivalent Grizzly.

Kelly Foster you bought a 16" Laguna jointer for $3700? It's over 9k on the Laguna website. Are you sure that's not a typo?

Laguna planer, not jointer. My figures above are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Foster View Post
    Laguna planer, not jointer. My figures above are correct.
    My eyes must have been crossed. My error.

You have to keep checking weekly, or even daily for places like Grizzly if you're in the market.

They had a year end flash sale last month. The 20" Southbend helical was on sale for $4500 for a skinny minute. Then back up to 5300 with a price increase a few days later.