This project is still in progress at the moment, but I thought I would share my first attempt at this sort of build. Some things went pretty well, others did not (so please be kind

I started off by seeing a bench that I liked in the Fine Woodworking gallery. I learned that this was considered to be in the spirit of Sam Maloof designs.

Next, I searched here om SMC and found that Prashun had built some furniture in this style, and having admired his posts over the years I reached out. He pointed me in the direction of Scott Morrison, and after emailing with Scott, I purchased DVD's for his tea chair and figured I would adapt as needed along the way to achieve what I was after.

My first departures from Scott's plans were that I could not readily find 8/4 walnut nearby (and thus worked with 6/4... which makes my creation a bit daintier overall) and I wanted an evenly scooped seat (instead of a more pronounced carved seat with 'yoke' area). As such, I was able to glue up my seat plank with the boards running the long way (instead of opposite as Scott teaches in the videos), which simultaneously made the glue up easier and the joint cutting more difficult (because I was handling long boards during that process). Here's what we looked like at that point:

walnut bench seat plank.jpg

Next, I decided that I might have a steep learning curve using an angle grinder to carve the seat, so I decided to use a router sled to get various zones to my preferred depths as a first step:
walnut bench prepping for carving.jpg walnut bench routing before carving.jpg

Then, I used an angle grinder and Kutzall carving disc, followed by 24 grit sanding disc, to contour between the zones and create the subtle shape of the seat:
walnut bench seat carving complete.jpg

After this, I forgot to take pictures for awhile unfortunately. Things progressed pretty quickly. I selected a simpler back rest approach, and also changed the arm shape as I went. I found the process of resawing, and regluing the arm blanks to create a curve to be very interesting. By the time I remembered to take another picture, I had the bench basically together, and had done preliminary rough carving using the angle grinder:

walnut bench rough carved.jpg

I was very nervous to use the angle grinder much more than what you see above, so I then purchased a Foredom rotary tool and some burrs. I had never used this sort of tool either, so this was a bit stressful at first, but I got the hang of it. Lots of time spent refining the shapes with the rotary tool, and then with hand rasps, has left me at this stage where it's time to sand the piece.

walnut bench read for sanding 1.jpg walnut bench read for sanding 2.jpg

I will use a combination of ROS, muscle power, sanding burrs for the rotary tool etc. to get this thing ready for finishing. I have one minor spot that needs some filler too (I ran out of wood and had to use a known-to-be-flawed piece).

Overall, I feel like I didn't botch this one up too badly, although there are so many steps that could have gone better. I also somewhat worry that the bench is too "thin" overall due to the use of 6/4 lumber - time will tell if it is strong enough (and it will be in our bedroom as a place to put on shoes before work... so only my wife and I will ever use it).

Any input as I look to take this to the finish line?

Thanks!!

Bob R.