Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxes

Blog Entries

Boxes

No room for full size furniture so building primarily boxes that I can hopefully sell on my Etsy site. I like boxes as projects because they only require a small amount of lumber so I can use up scraps in the shop and can also try out new techniques/design ideas without risk of screwing up major projects.

Very nice, Mike. I really need to start putting “feet” or molding base on mine. Really sets them apart. And yes, agree they are a great project when there is no room for furniture.

Very fine craftsmanship. Did you make the string inlay?

Beautiful Mike. Love the inlay!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Mike, these look great.

There is a thing that drives me bananas - as fellow wood worker - that I am sure many many people don't even notice. How can we not have the baseline for the dovetail cuts not be present on the finished piece?

I am sure someone like my wife or my mom would never notice. I am sure I am obsessing. But I am trying to make those lines go away on my finished pieces and it is driving me insane.

I agree with Phil the feet/base moulding do elevate the piece rather a lot.

Is that fiddleback maple trying to quilt itself for the inside box in the walnut chest?

Good looking pieces. Thanks for sharing.

Mike, have you ever considered teaming up with one of our Laser Engravers here to add custom engraving to your boxes?
    Just a thought.

WOW! Nice!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Very nice, Mike. I really need to start putting “feet” or molding base on mine. Really sets them apart. And yes, agree they are a great project when there is no room for furniture.
    Thanks Phil, great to hear from you! Let me know if you make it out my way – counting on you to stop by.

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Very fine craftsmanship. Did you make the string inlay?
    No, that’s commercial banding from my local rockler store. How people make this banding industrial scale seems way over my head.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Mike, these look great.

There is a thing that drives me bananas - as fellow wood worker - that I am sure many many people don't even notice. How can we not have the baseline for the dovetail cuts not be present on the finished piece?

I am sure someone like my wife or my mom would never notice. I am sure I am obsessing. But I am trying to make those lines go away on my finished pieces and it is driving me insane.

I agree with Phil the feet/base moulding do elevate the piece rather a lot.

Is that fiddleback maple trying to quilt itself for the inside box in the walnut chest?

Good looking pieces. Thanks for sharing.
    Hey Scott, if you want the baselines of the year and the best advice is just to lightly scrub them with a marking gauge. Personally, I’d encourage you to consider there a sign the joinery is in cut, which to me I kinda like. Reminds me of antique pieces.

Yes that curly maple really is beautiful isn’t it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Mike, have you ever considered teaming up with one of our Laser Engravers here to add custom engraving to your boxes?
    Just a thought.
    Keith, thanks for everything you do making this forum possible!

I really like the idea of adding names/initials to boxes like this. Personally I just carve them by hand with carving tools, although I engraving is certainly worth considering.

Thanks, Mike

Blog Entries
    Really nice boxes. Thanks for sharing those. Seems I get a new idea from just about everybody.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Mike nice boxes.

Scott,
    If you don't want to see gauge lines on the show side don't put them in until you have sawn down the to the bottom of the pins or tails. Use a pencil line first to define the baseline then saw down to just a bit above the pencil line, now you can use a combo square and knife to mark the baseline on the waste portion.

A Paul Sellers video of the technique:
    https://youtu.be/OCYjoj6cfno?t=365

Beautiful work as usual Mike-glad to see these. Hope they’ve already been snatched up from Etsy.

what did you use to line the bottom of the box in the last picture?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Simply stunning projects and craftsmanship! Extremely well-done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....