Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sander spindle well and truly stuck

Nice. I was gonna add if it's got ball bearings in it, may as well take it apart if you're going to hammer on it. Good chance they'll need replacing anyway. But might last another lifetime anyway.

I'm curious, are the 'spindles' (arbor in my mind, I'm a metal guy) a straight shaft with a separate taper piece retained by the collars?

Fantastic!

This is why they make hydraulic cylinders with a hole through the piston rod. If you do not have dry ice handy a CO2 fire extinguisher can be handy to have.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    This is why they make hydraulic cylinders with a hole through the piston rod. If you do not have dry ice handy a CO2 fire extinguisher can be handy to have.
    Bill D.

Knew a guy who made custom hydraulic systems to punch holes for switches for telecom systems. They were double acting, one piston opposed by another so there'd be no shock as the metal sheared to trip the switches that were in use as they added more. Sharp guy, former toolmaker at Peenemunde ... not that I have anything remotely resembling fond memories of him ...

I'm really happy you got that spindle out. Maybe my memory is off, but I thought on the floor model we had at work, that the spindle was held in with threads below the taper and there was no way to get the spindle out without it being turned. Could it be you had a bench top and the floor model design is different? No way a slide hammer would work on our machine.

Yes, your memory is correct, normally the spindle is held in by a threaded drawbar, when you unscrew it it will eject the spindle. My son wrenched on the drawbar while installing it getting it stuck, and then broke off the collar that the bottom of the taper rests on when trying to get it out by unscrewing it, so the threaded drawbar was unscrewed from the nut in the bottom and completely pulled out, leaving the hollow MT spindle behind.

You can see both the intact and broken drawbars in my first post.