Thread: 1/4 inch collet (or adapter) for PC 7518?

1/4 inch collet (or adapter) for PC 7518?

Hi folks,

Im looking for either a 1/4" collet, or an adapter, for my PC 7518. It's mounted in a table with a lift. A web search and results at the popular on-line merchant yields results, but the reviews seem to be mixed. Any guidance from the creek? Thanks and Happy (SAFE!) New Year to all!

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I think the ones I have were made by Porter Cable. The 1/4 inch collets obviously don’t have as much grip, and might wear out faster, but
    I doubt there is a better brand.

If I were to source anything other than OEM it would be fr4om here. I got a precision collet for my hand-held trim router as I was doing some very fine scribed lines at the time. they are indeed very nice collets.

Jim in Idaho

Collets, Nuts and Toolholders (precisebits.com)

Another source: http://elairecorp.com/portercablecollets.html

Besides Porter-Cable, elaire manufactures collect for others brands -- http://elairecorp.com/routercollets.html

Not sure what exactly you are asking but if your question was would I use a collet to get to 1/4'' or a reducer ? My answer would be I prefer the collet route.

The same collet is used on the PC690, PC890, PC 7518, PC7519... the original PC collet works great..
    just do not bottom it out before tightening and keep it clean..

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Another source: http://elairecorp.com/portercablecollets.html

Besides Porter-Cable, elaire manufactures collect for others brands -- http://elairecorp.com/routercollets.html
    +1. I have the 7518 in my table. I got the set (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) about 3 months ago from elaire. The 1/4 works great. Have used it several times already.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks all, for tips and info! I just ordered the Elaire 1/4” collet.

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Not sure what exactly you are asking but if your question was would I use a collet to get to 1/4'' or a reducer ? My answer would be I prefer the collet route.
    My first choice is a whole collet, I ordered the Elaire that Ray recommended - the most economical solution!

I haven't needed a replacement collet yet but if/when I do Elaire will probably be my choice. I have a Freud FT2000E which hasn't been sold in the U.S. for several years. Elaire has collets for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    The same collet is used on the PC690, PC890, PC 7518, PC7519... the original PC collet works great..
    just do not bottom it out before tightening and keep it clean..
    Not only do the Porter Cable routers share the same collets but my Dewalt router also uses the same collets.