Thread: FS - T H Witherby 9" drawknife

FS - T H Witherby 9" drawknife

The name says all that need be said about the quality, and being marked with the T H Witherby mark likely means this one is an early production. Witherby made chisels and drawknives in Millbury, MA from 1849 to 1850. He used the marks Witherby and T.H. WITHERBY, sometimes in a diamond shaped outline. It is assumed that he was succeeded by the Witherby Tool Co. of Millbury. The only recorded working date for that company is 1868. It is possible that the T. H. WITHERBY mark may actually have belonged to the company. Witherby won the Silver Medal for chisels and drawknives at the Fair of the American Institute of the City of New York in 1850. He is listed in a Massachusetts-wide directory as an edge-tool manufacturer in Millbury from 1849-1854.

While this one states it is a 9, the blade is actually about 9.5".
    I have established a nice bevel on the front, with a polished edge that is dangerously sharp accompanied by my "custom blade guard", patented I am sure - just not by me! The back side is very clean and a very slight rounded bevel has been added as that assists with starting or coming out of a cut. There is a clear lamination visible on the front bevel as well as on the back side.

The handles have seen a lot of use. I refinished them and are comfortable to the hand, but still show the weathering from use over the last 160-170 years. They are oriented best for a bevel up cut, though it would be possible to use bevel down - just not as comfortably. There is an almost imperceptible bit of movement in both handles, but one needs to be look for it. It makes no difference in the functionality of the knife.

$75, plus actual shipping, only because of the handles. Payment by personal check. I prefer to ship you the knife, and if you like it you send me a check. If you don't, then ship it back to me and pay me nothing. That way, the risk to both of us is the cost of shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	471070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	471071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	471072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	471073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	471074  

Left click my name for homepage link.

I will take it John

Michael

Sold! Thanks, Michael.

Left click my name for homepage link.