Thread: jet dc1100 dust collector repair

jet dc1100 dust collector repair

My Jet dust collector will not start. has been sitting for about a month. When I turned it on it just hums. any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by alan kopan View Post
    My Jet dust collector will not start. has been sitting for about a month. When I turned it on it just hums. any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it.
    Sounds like a start capacitor. Can you turn it on, then hit the impellor with a leaf blower? If it spools up, I'd bet it IS the cap.

Or the start switch is dusty and does not close all the way so the start cap is not in the circuit.
    Bill D.

I have a Jet AFS-1000B Air Filter I've had in service for 10-15 years. A few years back I had to replace the control board on the unit. As I recall my research at the time indicated the control board had a design or manufacturing flaw. After so much time a circuit on the board would short out. The new control board wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than purchasing a new unit. Not saying that's your issue, but if you pull the control board out, the burned out spot is easy to see.

I'm with Malcom, the start capacitor is the first thing that I would check... provided the impeller can be turned freely by hand.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 01-05-2022 at 5:43 PM.

thanks for the help. It has a 400 mf start capacitor. I looked at Jet parts and they want $128 for the capacitor, I can buy a 400 mf run cap for about $25 on amazon any reason that it should not work.

Quote Originally Posted by alan kopan View Post
    thanks for the help. It has a 400 mf start capacitor. I looked at Jet parts and they want $128 for the capacitor, I can buy a 400 mf run cap for about $25 on amazon any reason that it should not work.
    Only issue I've ever had is with the physical size of the cap. Often the OEM will use a 'small' one to fit the space available; the after-market caps can be much larger - and often the seller will not state this physical size.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Only issue I've ever had is with the physical size of the cap. Often the OEM will use a 'small' one to fit the space available; the after-market caps can be much larger - and often the seller will not state this physical size.
    I agree.
    I would buy the cap off of Amazon and make it work
    Ron

Thanks for all the advice. will order one from amazon. I'm kind of embarrassed, I have a degree in electronics but haven't used it for 49 years so I'm kind of out of the loop. thanks for the replies