Thread: Alternating Tread Stairs

Alternating Tread Stairs

Has anyone built/used alternating tread stairs, also known as "Jefferson stairs"? I've been putting in a second floor in my workshop, second floor will be accessed once a day, 140.5" from the first floor. Use will be dust-free hobbies, and for any "large equipment" I'd be lifting it via a hatch in the floor. Widest I can make the stairs is 30" due to building geometry.

First off, I've evaluated installing an attic ladder, and that just won't work. That leaves a normal set of stairs (likely with a 90 or 180 turn) or a compact alternating tread design. I've never used this style before, but I need to finalize my stair design (and build them) before continuing with my second floor decking. I would like to save as much floor space as possible.

There are companies that make these - though they indicate some circumstances aren't code compliant. Some big box stores sell a stair kit (and additional risers) in this design - from an Italian company.

Ignoring construction methods (as I would secure the treads better), this is the style I'm referring to:

https://www.ana-white.com/blog/2015/...ng-stairs-loft

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

We have a similar but industrial system at work for going over conveyors. They're built by Lapeyre. You have to have a good grip on the handrails going up and especially down the stairs. They're a PITA if you want to carry something in your hands.

I really don't like them and we're only going up about half the distance you want to go. Hope you're note to old or have bifocals.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You will need solid handrails on both sides. I doubt code will allow a 30" stairway as the only access. A firefighter in full gear could not go up that narrow a space
    Bill D

On Edit:
    Talk to your insurance agent.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3231.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-08-2022 at 7:40 PM.

I’d fall and break my neck inside a week.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have worked in a facility with a set. They took some getting used to but once your mind adjusts it was fine.

I don't think I'd be comfortable walking down those stairs with my back to the stairs. Instead, I'd turn around and back down those stairs, just like I'd do with a conventional ladder. With that in mind, I'd probably just use a conventional ladder instead. I'd continue the handrail for the ladder a good long ways above the second floor, so I have something firm to hold on to as I make that pivot to go down the ladder.

I'd also have couple of shopping bags at the top and the bottom of the stairs. When I want to carry little stuff up or down the stairs, I'd put it in a bag and sling the bag over my shoulder. That is, I'd have both hands free to hold on to the ladder.

I have nothing first-hand to offer, but the Dec/Jan issue of Fine homebuilding has an article on safety and code issues around so called "irregular" stairs, which include the alternating tread type.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 01-08-2022 at 9:48 PM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I have nothing first-hand to offer, but the Dec/Jan issue of Fine homebuilding has an article on safety and code issues around so called "irregular" stairs, which include they alternating tread type.
    Thanks! I just read the article, and it clarifies things quite a bit. I think now I understand in what circumstances the alternating design can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If I'm reading it right, a 30" wide stairway is OK:

Private stairways serving an occupant load of less than 10 may be 30 inches wide.
    I'd have to check MI code to be sure.

And Michigan code does not list an exception for that occupancy level, though it is interesting CA allows for a narrower stair. I have one area I can put 34.5" stair in - wouldn't get me the full 36" but would be closer than 30.