Thread: Hinge Question

Hinge Question

I’m refinishing some cabinet doors for my son. They have a rabbit on the inside of the top, bottom and hinge edge of the door. They had the hinges shown below that were attached to the face frame.
    The rabbit makes these doors half overlay amd half inset. He would like to replace these hinges with some euro style ones but I don’t there is such a creature. Is there?
    B324C32F-6318-4945-B84E-92B81C882DD5.jpg

There is a way to use European concealed hinges on lipped doors. I have done it in the past, but that was years ago. The 35 mm hole for the hinge is obviously drilled further from the edge of the door than the standard 5-6 mm. You then have to use the 165 degree hinges. You probably won't be able to use face frame mounting plates. You may have to block out for standard plates. Back when I did this, face frame plates were not yet available. You then have to use a plastic clip to limit the swing of the hinge so that it won't open the door the full 165 -170 degrees. I don't remember why the clips were necessary. As I recall, it was necessary to use the 165 degree hinges to provide the necessary clearance for the door to open properly. I might suggest calling Blum or Grass customer service for advice.

Rob, thanks for the info. These are old doors and don’t look that great. I think I’ll just offer to make 6 new doors and use standard Euro hinges. In the long haul it will probably be easier and will look better.