Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marples Ridgway Chisel Set

Marples Ridgway Chisel Set

Hi, I am building up the tools arsenal to hand cut dovetails and I am looking for a chisel set to get started. There is a Marples Ridgway chisel set (seller says they are model MR222) for sale local to me. I wanted to check in and see where these land in the spectrum of chisels. There isn't a lot of information on these when I searched the web. Any experience or knowledge about these is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

marples ridgway chisel set 1.jpg

marples ridgway chisel set 2.jpg

They're not premium chisels. If the edges don't fold as soon as you hit them with a mallet, then they're fine for whatever you need them. If they are only a few dollars each, I would get them.

If you need some decent quality chisel, try an Ashley Isles chisel, they won't break the bank.

They're fine. I have those same chisels.

You can see this wondrously talented fellow using Irwin Blue Chips (after Marples was bought by Irwin) in several of his videos. Granted, he can also be seen using Lie Nielsen chisels as well (some think they're junk too), but in more than one video he uses the Irwins when dovetailing and on other joinery cuts - even some carving.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Doucetteandwolfefurniture

If you think you're susceptible to blaming the tools, then go straight to the AI chisels or another premium brand. They won't in any way help you lay out and cut a quality joint on an article of woodworking. All they do is prolong the cycle between touch ups. They are not a substitute for skill. All tools get dull eventually, even the most expensive money can buy. Most hobbyists frankly benefit from the break afforded by having to do touch ups. You can collect your thoughts, straighten your back, move around a little, take a look at your work, make sure you're on the right track, have a smoke, pet the dog, and of course hone-up whatever tool has gone a bit dull.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-04-2022 at 1:38 PM.

I got a set of these Irwin/Marples from when they were still made in the UK. Other than the backs needing lots of work to flatten and the bevels being on the chubby side, they sharpen up well and hold a great edge. I'll assume the set you are considering is of UK origin and is equivalent in quality. The size of the lands on the edges makes them less than ideal for dovetails but for general work they're just fine. If the one you are considering are local to you, go take a look.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

He's noted that the set is a Marples Ridgway model #222, not blue chips and not the Irwin version. They're referenced in https://williammarplesandsons.com/ch...gouges/chisels and described as "Almost Absolute Rubbish!", but you never know, that's why I didn't pass any judgement on them, my Harbor Freight chisels, for example, work just fine. Try them, if you like them, get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    He's noted that the set is a Marples Ridgway model #222, not blue chips and not the Irwin version. They're referenced in https://williammarplesandsons.com/ch...gouges/chisels and described as "Almost Absolute Rubbish!", but you never know, that's why I didn't pass any judgement on them, my Harbor Freight chisels, for example, work just fine. Try them, if you like them, get them.
    Those chisels are fine, as are the now only available as vintage Marples Blue Chips, as are the Irwin Blue Chips.

That why I posted the YouTube link, so people could see the latter being used to make very fine furniture.

A lot of people (not you) don't want to see average tools being used to make furniture they could never execute themselves in three lifetimes. It really honks up the narrative. It gives me hope.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-04-2022 at 2:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    These will likely be fine as a first set for dovetail chopping.

What is the seller asking for the set?

You may want to look in to using a fret or coping saw to remove waste.

With a chisel, the bevel tends to push the chisel toward the base line when chopping. With a fret saw one can learn to cut close to the base line and finish up with a little paring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Marples. Ridgeway are a modern version of the Marples Boxwood chisels. Essentially, the once-Boxwood handles, which we all adore, are now made is less-pretty Ash (or similar). The steel is no doubt the same as before, which is to say that they do not hold an edge long. This makes them a prime candidate for a Unicorn profile, which helps their edge-holding enormously. For reference, I used the Boxwood chisels when I was first experimenting with the Unicorn profile.

The Ridgeway would not be my choice of chisel to purchase. As Charles mentioned, the AI are so much better.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a set gifted to me by a friend; his father’s estate had them.
    I’ve used them for years, and for me they were a step up.
    I’ve just gotten a set of Narex Richters, and they are certainly a step above.
    Unless you have a price point you can’t broach you might try to get a set of richters. Mind you I never had the issue of the steel punking out on me, but I normally work in oak, not Jarrah.

It depends on the price. If they're not expensive, I'd say go for them. A lot of people quite like old marples chisels, though I don't know if they're of the same steel and make as this particular model.

As a beginner, you may actually benefit from chisels on the softer side. You'll need to learn to sharpen them, and you'll do your share of chipping them. A steel slightly on the softer side will make them a bit tougher and easier to resharpen and repair.

Hi Julio,

if you’re just getting started, in my opinion you would do well to just buy 2-3 quality chisels in sizes you would use. Avoid the mistake many of us made first, which was being lured into buying a set so they look nice in a rack! Honestly, a couple vintage chisels from a quality seller (someone here might have a couple they would let go) or if new, the Ashley Iles are excellent as stated.

Enjoy!
    Kevin

Just buy that set...for now...can always "upgrade" later....some on here have brands THEY want others to buy....

Use the chisels for a while..put them to work on the woods YOU have to work with....then let others know how well YOU get along with them.....and.how they fit in YOUR hands.

Note: someone made a comment about those oak handles? Hmmm, What about the handles on Japanese made chisels, then....Handle Snobbery?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

The 5 piece Narex "Richter" chisel set is $230 USD. If the Marples set is more than $100 USD, you're half way to excellent.

And....that 4 pc set from Aldi's I am using right now..cost $7 +tax.....and, I have 2 sets. and a 6 pc set from Harbor Freight ( wood handles!) is around $17, or so....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    ...that 4 pc set from Aldi's I am using right now..cost $7 +tax...
    This set isn't always available off the shelf.

Currently someone who may have bought every pack in his local store is selling them on ebay for less than $17 including shipping > 274104568489 < Enter the number into ebay search to find the listing.

Others, including myself, commented on Aldi chisels here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?267763 < It runs long but has a lot of information that may be useable to anyone interested in the Aldi chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)