Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plywood Corral

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    I like it -- especially because it doesn't permanently block a chunk of wall space.

My fixed, vertical, storage rack has a convenient roller that I read about years ago. It's a simple 3/4-inch galvanized pipe inside a slightly larger PVC pipe set flush with the bottom of the rack. The PVC rolls around the metal pipe to reduce friction against the bottom of the rack, making removal of sheets easier.
    I did that with rollers I purchased. I have to take a picture of mine. It is vertical, on casters, and has rollers in the bottom so that I can pull it out a little, have the rollers line up with the panel saw, and just roll the sheets onto the panel saw. Saves tons of lifting.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Like your hinge, very clever. I have a similar setup and interestingly got the idea from the same article years ago. But I reversed the end that pivots so that I can open the door and slide sheets in and out readily. Not an issue if you have space to maneuver a full sheet inside your shop.

Maybe I missed it somewhere above... but what is the benefit of the wall mounted hinge mechanism as opposed to just having four swiveling casters, so it could be pulled out and/or pivoted?
    Stability. Those in a roll around form can get "tippy" if you aren't careful.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Here's mine. I'm only posting it to show another use of the rollers on the bottom. Highly recommended. It really does make just rolling sheets onto the panel saw a breeze. No lifting.

Sheet good rack.jpg

Someone, somewhere posted this as a way to make rollers out of wood. Too much work for me, and I don't have a lathe. I just purchased them.
    cart-rollers.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-12-2022 at 9:00 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

THat's a very kewel idea, Alan! Are the individual roller "slices" independent so moving one sheet doesn't move others?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On mine they are not independent, but friction (or lack thereof) differences make it so that I just gently hold the sheets that aren't to be moved, and easily roll out the one I'm interested. Works like a charm.

Interesting, Jim. I never thought of that complication (whoever made that wood one did), but it turns out to be a non-issue. Mine are just stainless steel rollers, like the kind on my outfeed / infeed extension stands.

Ah, I was reading too fast and didn't realize that the bottom photo wasn't your solution. I have to say, however, that Glenn's setup combined with a roller thing has my gears spinning. I will have to put something together once I have a building to put it in!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...