Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet 16-32 drum sander problems

It always surprises me how inconsistent the thickness is off my planer when I send it through the drum sander on the first pass. Not enough to matter for most work, but maybe that the helical head on my PM15.

Keegan it should be pretty consistent. Old school high speed you make your table parrellel to the head. Then your knife projection consistent side to side and reference that cutting circle for all set ups pressure bars etc below the head. How much is out and on what width. I guess with insert you dont have the knife adjust of old school so really you have to be really sure your bed is parrllel to the head.

I bought a machine from a school recently and the knife set up is off the map insane .070 different from high to low measures and .045 from side to side on 24" This is guiness book level stuff. Nothing below the head could be set up based on those numbers. I cant even digest this im just plain stunned this could be in a school like this, kicker is all the knives are sharp so it was basically set up this way and not used there was no pitch on any of the knives. I have not measured them to see if they are straight or not just outside measures on each of the three knives above the head. Insane numbers.

I do have a drum wide belt had to buy for one job years ago and after I trued it up it did the job I needed. Sorry im so negative about them. At some point ill likely have some work for it.

Thank you guys very much, I am glad that operator error was the conclusion because at least I should be able to fix my own idiot mistakes outside of warranty…. Thanks again! If I can’t figure it out I will just list it in classifieds 😀

Quote Originally Posted by John Fairbairn III View Post
    Thank you guys very much, I am glad that operator error was the conclusion because at least I should be able to fix my own idiot mistakes outside of warranty…. Thanks again! If I can’t figure it out I will just list it in classifieds 
    What you wrote describes exactly my experience with drum sanders. Some people love them and can make them do what they want, not me. I finally bought a used 15" wide belt sander that is me all the way. I throw a 36 grit belt on and knock a glued panel down flat quickly, then step up thru the grits to 120(can go to 320 maybe higher if I wanted to) very quickly. Change belt in 10-15 seconds after sander stops. No way no how I will ever mess with a drum sander again, just not my style at all.
    So, think about it and look around for a 15" wide belt or wider and it may be your style also. Different machines for different people is what keeps life interesting.
    Ron