Thread: WTB Hollow Chisel Mortiser Bits

WTB Hollow Chisel Mortiser Bits

Howdy
    I have access to a Powermatic 701 thatís been collecting dust and I wanna get into it. Before I drop my hard earned cash on a set bits, I wanted to check in here and see if anyone had any also collecting dust. Iíd like to start budget to get to know the machine but am not gonna buy some random stuff off Amazon. I plan on using it to make some beefy Krenov style saw horses. 1/4″ and 1/2″ bits should do it.
    Thank ye in advance.

I have spare chisels that go into one of those drill press adapter mortiser. Does anyone know if those are the same?

There are difference dia of the barrel. Not sure what a PN 701 uses. I have extras but will have to measure the dia for you to see if they will work. Tomorrow I can check

Said I would check today, we have a solid sheet of ice, unable to go out to check. As cheap as they are on Amazon I suggest you buy what you want, with free shipping. By the time you pay someone for the their bits and shipping you can get them cheaper on Amazon. Unless someone is willing to just give them to you for nothing. Charles

Hey thanks guys.

After using the machine a bit borrowing a Fisch chisel set from a friend, I think I'm changing course and going premium. Most likely the set that Lee Valley offers. Thanks again!

I think that is smart. Woodworkers supply also has premium chisels. Also get the cone shaped diamond hone to maintain the chisels. There is also a lubricant to help the bit from overheating. I would seek advice from lee valley. Most of the Chinese chisels are not very high quality. Enjoy, as when you have good chisels and the bit clearance is correctly set they work well.

I almost posted that I had some, but I was going to recommend the Star M bits, which I think are the ones sold as LV Premiums. They are noticeably better cutting. I haven't used the old ones in years, and don't even want to take the time to find them.

They come with a long drill bit. It has to be cut to length, which is a Good thing. Take your time to get it right, so you can seat it all the way home in the chuck. Most of the cheaper sets have a short bit, and you have to tighten the chuck the best you can, but on long runs there is still a great chance the bit will slip up into the chisel, which work well, or end well.

I use a Dremel wheel, and bench grinder to get the bit length right for a Dime clearance between the bit, and the chisel cutting edge. Another good thing about that is you don't have to fiddle with the setup, once you get that bit the right length. Just put the chisel and bit all the way home, and go to work.

I am pretty sure the woodworkerssupply sell the same exact bits. You may want to compare prices.