Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Lie Nielsen drawer lock chisels

WTB Lie Nielsen drawer lock chisels

This might be a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had a set of these that they were willing to part with. Iím not sure if they came as a set; Iím guessing they were two different sizes though. Either way, let me know if you have some you want to sell. Thanks.

Nobody has any?

There is a (pricey) set on Ebay.

Yeah, I saw that. I think thatís more than double what it retailed for. Thatís crazy.

It's the same with the Lie Nielsen 98/99 side rabbet planes. They sell for over twice their original price. LN has suspended production and until they resume you'll either pay big bucks or go without. There is nothing "crazy" about it. It is simply elementary supply-and-demand economics.

There is more than just that on the auction site. I've recently seen enough LN stuff that's currently available, on LNs website, for more than the price plus shipping. Sometimes things just don't make much sense.
    ~mike

life in a mud hut

Well, that most often happens when the buyer lives outside of the US and simply cannot purchase LN products from the company.

I wonder if people even check. They take for granted the listing saying discontinued or backordered. Only takes one buyer.....

<shrug>. I suspect anyone buying LN products checks to see if they can be purchased at the regular price before paying more than that on eBay.

Well people add over $100 in "shipping and handling" all the time too. I suspect people just are lazy.
    ~mike

life in a mud hut

Or impulsive, or a little of both

I get the whole supply-demand thing. I did contact Lie-Nielsen and they said they quit making the drawer lock chisels in 2019 and had no plans to make any more. Thatís a real bummer, because they were the only ones (to my knowledge) that were even making a product like that.

Do you have to have a Lie Nielsen one, or would you take one by an unknown maker. Those don't get a lot of use and if you sharpen a no-name one well, it will work fine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Do you have to have a Lie Nielsen one, or would you take one by an unknown maker. Those don't get a lot of use and if you sharpen a no-name one well, it will work fine.

Mike

I would be fine with one by an unknown maker. I havenít seen any of those either.

well. looks like someone really wants that set on ebay.