Thread: Repair/Touch-up to New Floor

Repair/Touch-up to New Floor

I just finished installing a new white oak floor in our 110 year-old house.

The floor came out great but I missed one spot that didn't get filled/repaired.

The floor has 2 coats of Bona Mega on it, and it is Extra Matte sheen.

20220101_120001small.jpg

There is one board that has a split in it and will likely be a dust mop or sock catcher. I would have epoxied it along with all the other knot holes if I had caught it. Trying to decide the best way to fill/fix.

20220102_140527small.jpg

- I could tape off and carefully fill with epoxy but am worried about the gloss of the epoxy standing out against the matte finish. Is there some way to de-gloss epoxy? Am using West System 205.

- Tape off and fill with CA glue

- Epoxy then abrade and recoat the entire floor (I really don't want to do this)

- Other ideas?
    Regards,

Kris

Burn in shellac stick after taping off. Carefully razor blade it smooth

Got any leftover pieces? Cut a slice of board to wedge into the crack with CA glue.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Mega is one that can be recoated with something else. It's not one of their most durable finishes though. I have used it under Traffic HD, but that's been a number of years ago, so I haven't even kept up with their line.

I'd stuff it with sawdust mixed with shellac or use a wax stick. Any that gets on the finish can be removed w/o damage. If you'd rather use epoxy just wax the floor around the area so it won't stick. I wouldn't worry about the sheen of the epoxy, those cracks are really small, but if it bothers you then rub it with abrasives on the end of an eraser, etc. shaped to fit after the glue has cured.

John

Thanks for the input. I will report back after I fix it.
    Regards,

Kris