Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New Year Public Service Message

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Just wondering, did LA ever recover from the Vornado and is the La Brea collapse into a hole repaired? Did the escape from LA really happen?
    I have so many questions to ponder.
    Movie magic: all of those happened in Orlando.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Well, THAT turned dark in a hurry, didn't it?
    TURNED dark? lol....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Full disclosure: I'm an Air Force brat.

The thing is, I grew up in Alaska, New Jersey, Georgia, Colorado, Virginia, and Florida, then (finally) came to California after grad school (in Colorado again).

So yeah, where I grew up influences my preferences.
    You got to experience quite a variety.

Having been to both Disneyland and Disney World, I'd have to say that's one of the (few?) things the East coast does better.

Whoa! Just trying to point out the there are more than just a few things the east coast does better then the left coast. Unfortunately we also have to contend with Washington DC which is the biggest headache in the country. Last but not least our population is not decreasing, people from the west are moving east.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Last but not least our population is not decreasing, people from the west are moving east.
    From this perspective, that's a feature, not a bug.

(Note also, since you appeared to miss it, that's the whole point of my original post.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 01-04-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

OK, I missed the point somehow but I have re-read your original post and still can't connect.
    Your population reduction seems to involve replacing some of the tax paying citizens leaving your state with non citizens who don't pay taxes.

In case you missed it on the news yesterday we had a 27 hour traffic backup on Interstate 95 in Northern Virginia and one of our Senators was caught smack dab in the middle of it, I am happy that he experienced a little bit of what the working class has to deal with in the course of a regular day minus the snow.

(Note to self: never try to explain a joke.)

To those of you watching the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game on TV: these are NOT live events. They were recorded months ago on the same soundstage used for the Apollo moon landings, with the aid of a ton of very expensive special effects provided by George Lucas and James Cameron.

The winter climate in Southern California, in spite of what you think you're seeing on TV, is roughly the same as Buffalo, NY, except with more wind. The summers are more like equatorial Africa, except for a few weeks in September when the wildfires reduce the humidity slightly. Wherever you are now is certainly a better place to live and there is absolutely no reason for you to even think about moving here.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Did I mention the earthquakes?

Lee, I grew up in Buffalo and lived in S. CA for 25 years. I must say that Buffalo has some of the nicest pure white beaches in the world if you can stand the 5' of snow in them. S. California, on the the other hand, can't make a decent chicken wing let alone beef on weck. Plus, the fruits and nuts in the Buffalo area grow on trees while in S. CA they can be found on the 405 at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 AM and once again 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 PM. However, S. CA really needs more people since there's still a few acres out near Palmdale that haven't been concreted over yet and turning into sub-divisions. <SEG>

PS - going along with those 3 important words in your sig, don't forget that once the pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is no longer your friend.

There is someone else here who has experienced a "Super Storm" that drops down out of Canada across one of the Great Lakes and leaves 4 foot of snow on the ground in just a couple hours at 50 degrees F below zero. These can make a Southern Boy run for home, to the locals its no biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    There is a "Super Storm" that drops down out of Canada across one of the Great Lakes and leaves 4 foot of snow on the ground in just a couple hours at 50 degrees F below zero.
    could build a wall

I know you have seen pictures of snow banks on the edge of roads up to 12 feet high on each side. That is what it was like for me about mid winter going to work every day in Oswego NY. On a regular day it would snow from 6 to 18 inches and then the wind would blow the snow everywhere. At the power plant we had colored ropes that connected every building and there were colored maps on every door so the night shift could find their way when they needed to move between buildings as the wind and snow blew so hard if you lost the rope from you hands you could be lost just inches from a building.

Living in this kind of environment was unbelievable for people who were not locals, but the locals just took it all in stride...just another day. Funny what humans can get used to over time. When i saw the first snow plows in the late Spring when I got there I had to ask what kind of machines they were because they were monsters, never seen anything like it in my life. I did boot camp in Illinois in the early 1970's and saw a lot of snow but nothing like upstate New York. Even though the weather in Oswego was brutal to me the locals had their annual town party in Winter at 30 below zero, nothing but a regular day to them. Oh yeah, we didn't get any visitors in the Winter because cars had to be winterized or the transmissions and rear ends would freeze solid because the fluids were to thick for the temperature. We were told not to take our cars south of Syracuse NY unless the fluids were changed back to normal.

Even on the East Coast we have unbelievable differences from North to South. Most Yankees know better then to wander north of Syracuse in the Winter time.

I've driven through parts of Idaho where the snow was 12 feet high on each side of the road. It's like driving in a very long tunnel.

There'a a recreational area about 50 miles east of my town that gets a large amount of snow in the winter. A few years ago, I talked to a friend of mine who has a cabin out there. He said that, at that time in January, they had 11 feet of snow on the ground. The people who live out there or have houses or cabins put plywood over their windows and let the snow pile up, then get out and shovel thier roofs to keep them from caving in. Snowmobiles and snowcats are about the only way you can get around out there in the winter. It is truely beautiful there, though. The town is called Elk River, Idaho. It's also a sportsman's paradise for fishing, hunting, camping, etc., at other times of the year.

Keith, I grew up in the snow belt of Western NY. It doesn't (normally) get as cold as the northern part of NY, but we do get our share of white-outs. As a kid it was normal to have our schools open with 1' to 2' of fresh snow overnight. A couple of times we kids had to get out and push the school bus through a large snow drift. I too when to boot camp in Great Lakes, IL where -20 to -30 degrees wasn't rare. After 6 years in the navy I returned to W. NY and went through the blizzard of '77 (209" of snow) and spent over a week stuck at my parents house due to a 20' snow drift preventing normal (the large ones) from opening the road. A special machine was brought in to open the road. In winter of '77 (end of 77- beginning of '78), which was only a little bit better (201") than the year earlier, found my future wife in Buffalo for graduate school coming up from E. PA and got a dual education. First, at the UB and the second in what a winter in Buffalo was like. I introduced her to the Bills football over the next couple of years and it amazed her that tailgating and filling a stadium to overflow wasn't a problem in January. January football is back this year for Buffalo. Go Bills!

I'm always struck by how much the local mind-set affects people's perception of the weather, AKA the "It's a DRY heat" syndrome.

I lived in northern Virginia in the mid '60s. I don't know how it works now, but at the time VA was still hung up on being part of "The South", to the extent that Fairfax County owned maybe five snowplows total. Every year we could count on getting about three times as many "snow days" off as the schools just across the river in Maryland.

Donald, I lived in Oswego from 1983 to 1985. Two long Winters for someone who saw Winter re-defined. The average snowfall at the time was 326 inches.

Lee, last year Gloucester County Virginia closed schools because it was supposed to snow the next day and it didn't People here are afraid of snow. We used to get at least one decent snowfall every year of 6 to 8 inches, in a bad year I have seen it snow 25 inches a few times and the state closed down. I have seen the York and James rivers freeze over when I was very young but we just don't have those kind of temperatures here anymore, not for 50 years. There are more snowplows in Oswego county NY than exist south of the Mason Dixon Line.

I live just 75 miles east of the capital of the Confederate States, I think that is the deciding factor of whether Virginia is a Southern State even though we are considered to be in the south east or Mid-Atlantic geographically. My first ancestor came to the Eastern Shore of Virginia in 1634 and 90% of my Dad's family were farmers that never left The Shore. My Mother's family was also here in Colonial times. One of her ancestors signed a loan for George Washington, you can see that I am pretty sure about my heritage and where my ancestors have been historically. My home town is the oldest continuously settled Anglo-Saxon municipality in America est 1610 just three years after Jamestown. It's less then two miles from my back yard to the Yorktown battlefields and 30 miles to Williamsburg, I grew up learning about our History because it happened here and we are very proud of Virginia's participation in the founding of America and that our greatest document was written by one of our own. The British hated Virginians so much that when they burned our Liberty Tree they dug up the roots so they could burn them too
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-11-2022 at 2:17 PM.