Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your "Ah Ha" Moments

Your "Ah Ha" Moments

My TS is down, so I'm looking to do a couple quick hitter things in the shop. I have a few available hours to tinker. Have you had any recent, or not recent "ah ha" moments that improve your woodworking, shop or workflow? Wouldn't want to build a workbench or anything....more casual smaller things that make life easier.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Wax jointer, planer, shaper, tablesaw tables. Wax jointer/shaper fence. Clean saw blades as needed. Shovel out dust under those machines. Clean windows to let in more light.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Wax jointer, planer, shaper, tablesaw tables. Wax jointer/shaper fence. Clean saw blades as needed. Shovel out dust under those machines. Clean windows to let in more light.
    Bill D
    All else is good but thanks for reminding me on the window. I only have one and it's really bad!
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Sharpen chisels and block plane!

I have a single stage dust collector with Thein baffle and filter instead of the cloth bag. I have had it quite a few years now and had some concerns about the filter being clogged even though had cleaned it recently. I was milling some walnut and managed to fill the bottom bag and put a lot in the filter as well. This led to the cleaning that I mentioned. Anyway, after the filter cleaning the dust collector just was not pulling very well. Had it in my mind that the filter may be done. I replaced the filter with the original bag that had never been used. Still disappointment in the suction. Finally decided to tear apart the ductwork. Aha. Sure enough, some long thin pieces had wedge in an elbow and blocked it. After cleaning the duct, collector works as good as new. Yes, I feel pretty silly thinking it was the filter but sometimes get fixated on something when should be more open-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Sharpen chisels and block plane!
    My banger cheapo glue scrap plane needs attention....put it on the list to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    I have a single stage dust collector with Thein baffle and filter instead of the cloth bag. I have had it quite a few years now and had some concerns about the filter being clogged even though had cleaned it recently. I was milling some walnut and managed to fill the bottom bag and put a lot in the filter as well. This led to the cleaning that I mentioned. Anyway, after the filter cleaning the dust collector just was not pulling very well. Had it in my mind that the filter may be done. I replaced the filter with the original bag that had never been used. Still disappointment in the suction. Finally decided to tear apart the ductwork. Aha. Sure enough, some long thin pieces had wedge in an elbow and blocked it. After cleaning the duct, collector works as good as new. Yes, I feel pretty silly thinking it was the filter but sometimes get fixated on something when should be more open-minded.
    Good catch. Sometimes we over think. Common in IT.....techs come looking for a new network card. I ask, did you check the cable?
    Thanks,
    Fred

Clean your saw blades or send them out for sharpening if required.

Organizing (if you are like me). How much time is spent 'looking' for something?

Recently got some harbor freight organizing bins and sorted all my small screws, nuts, hinges, etc etc. Not only can I now find things easily, it made space in my storage cabinets.

Sort some tools and consider letting go of items you havent used in a long time. Ditto with some lumber hoarding.

A cleaner more organized shop will clear the mind.

Order supplies that are low or you'll soon need.

John

I am upgrading fluorescents to LED’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Good move. I did that a couple years back during a lull.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Clean your saw blades or send them out for sharpening if required.
    Blades are all ready to rock. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Organizing (if you are like me). How much time is spent 'looking' for something?

Recently got some harbor freight organizing bins and sorted all my small screws, nuts, hinges, etc etc. Not only can I now find things easily, it made space in my storage cabinets.

Sort some tools and consider letting go of items you havent used in a long time. Ditto with some lumber hoarding.

A cleaner more organized shop will clear the mind.
    Couldn't agree more. I literally forced myself to organize 2yrs ago and have mostly stayed with using a "clean as I go" method. It's nice to clear benchtops and not work with piles of items around me. I does take discipline though.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Order supplies that are low or you'll soon need.

John
    In need of gloves, mixing sticks and plastic razor blades thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I did this awhile back, but one at a time. This left me with 3 different colors/temps in my 7 fixtures.....I have to circle back and resolve this.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Accomplishments....

-Cleaned window
    -Sharpened beater plane
    -Broke down Record vise, jointed all sides of maple jaws, cleaned and lubed
    -MacGyver'ed internal wiper blade of sorts for dust collector bucket window (too cheap to buy a fill indicator)
    -Got Alexa out of my way.....hung it from the ceiling
    -Insulated louvered exhaust fan.....built easily removable foam board box to close it in
    -Ordered supplies
    Thanks,
    Fred

Yup, as soon as it warms up a little I'll be re-configuring the lighting in the "shop". Got 2 new fixtures at Costco the other day, so consolidating makes sense - and better lighting, too.
    Also planning to order & make the Shophacks dust collector.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

-When you think you have enough lights - add more.
    -When you think you have sufficient air cleaning - add more.
    -When you wonder when you last changed the filter on your respirator - change it, and put the date on it this time.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.