Thread: Just another box?

Just another box?

Seems to be the "in" thing, lately....had some leftover Red Oak....decided to try to build that Desktop Organizer, from Paul Sellers..though I did change a couple things..
    Desktop Project Post, front view.JPG
    Increased the height by a 1/2"....
    Desktop Project Post, lid opened.JPG
    Both this panel and the bottom of the drawer are 1/4" Luann plywood...sitting in grooves...
    Desktop Project Post, drawer is open.JPG
    Drawer is 2" tall, instead of 1-1/2" tall..
    Desktop Project Post, end details.JPG
    There is a way to cover up where the grooves would otherwise show through...
    Finish is 2 coats of Amber Shellac. Project took about 2 weeks....yeah, getting slow in me old age...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Steven, You are a patent fellow! Nice work!
    I read your profile and just happen to have met the son of the guy who invented the "lip" or "hanger flange" on the plastic soda bottle. He says his dad figured it out at the Columbia MO. Pepsi plant when he was a kid in the 1970's or 1980's.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-13-2022 at 6:12 PM. Reason: not sure of date
    Best Regards, Maurice

Was working at Plasti-Pak up in Jackson Center, OH ( also the home of Airstream) when they changed the number of turns it took to remove a bottle's cap..from 3 full turns, to just 2. Savings was in the form of s shorter cap being needed, thus less plastic used. Was also there when they changed the shape of the Pepsico bottles to that "Handi-grip". The line that produced those bottles for Tide's Pods (looked like orange fish bowls) used to be right beside the line I ran, that made those blue handles for 1 gallon water bottles.

That factory, when I retired, had just over 1 million square feet under roof....Proctor & Gamble in Lima,OH was another big Customer of ours....

Next time, look just above that hanger flange...and you will see both the Mold number and the cavity number that bottle's "preform" came from....

Blog Entries
    Neat-O. This guy tells about his dads struggle to find a way to keep a plastic bottle standing up in the line. And to be able to withstand the forces required to put the cap on. I hope he comes over again.
    We toured the bottling plant for an elementary school field trip in 1973 or 74. All refillable glass back then. I was amazed.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Had to clear off a spot on the bench...so I just cleared the entire bench top...
    The Tool Crib, THE Bench.JPG
    And set the box in it's new home..
    The Tool Crib, new home.JPG
    Where it quickly filled right up...
    The Tool Crib, organizer full.JPG
    There is a second box to sit behind this..
    The Tool Crib, parked.JPG
    Filled with hardware and such..
    The Tool Crib, Hardware Box.JPG

May have to build another one of these Desktop Organizers....they are indeed fun to make.