Thread: Need help with buying brad point bit set

Need help with buying brad point bit set

I have a 64ths set that I bought many years ago at one of the woodworking shows but it is not really very good quality and some of the bits don't run true. As a result I've not used these bits as much as I like. So a New Year's resolution is to buy a decent set.

I've known for years that the Fisch brand is good quality and has been mentioned here on SMC many times. Part of this prompting is the recent sales flyer from my local Woodcraft store. And so the confusion started.

The set in question is the Fisch FSF-364757 29 piece imperial set. Woodcraft shows a regular price of $143 on sale for $100. Searching for that part number I've found a lot of different prices which is suspicious. For instance, Amazon and Home Depot both sell it for $70. Woodpeckers shows a regular price of $95 on sale for $75. There are Amazon reviews complaining about the quality and some sound legitimate. I've seen a review of the best brad point sets and one of the cons for the Fisch set is that there are a lot of counterfeits out there. And interestingly, on Woodpeckers website they show the country of manufacture as China.

So I'd love to get the real Fisch set but how would I know if I'm buying the real made in Austria set? BTW, I'm sure some of you will comment on buying the Lee Valley set but I don't want to spend $200.

If you order from a reliable source that specifically says "Made in Austria" that's what you will get, but they probably won't cost what you want to pay. Buy once, cry once.

I googled the kit above. ACME has it for about $70 and states that country of origin is Austria. https://www.acmetools.com/chrome-van...ll%20Products)

I'm not worried about crying once and I'm thinking about buying from a reliable source as Kevin stated. Mike, I was on Acme's web site and saw that they show Austria as the country of origin, but I'd still be concerned. It seems to me that there should be a way to tell a counterfeit set from a legitimate one. Razer blades seem to be counterfeited a lot, like the Gillette ones I buy. But there is information out there on how to tell the difference. Even Amazon shows Austria as the country of origin but I wouldn't trust them on this set.

I don’t have their brad points, but i love my Norseman split points. If I start doing more flat work, I’ll replace my junk brads in favor of Norseman or Lee Valley.
    earl

Blog Entries
    I have the Lee valley bits, they are great! Good drill bits are mission critical hardware.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I also use lee valleys hhs spur point bits I have the set they used to sell. They make perfect holes.
    Aj

I bought the Lee Valley brad point set a few years ago. I went all in with the 28 piece set with the metal index. The cost stung a bit but I’ve been beyond pleased every time I use them.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

John,
    If you cant get comfortable that the Fisch are "genuine" you can buy a good 12 piece set from Lee Valley for $57. Includes sizes 5/64" to 1/4" in 64th increments I have them and like them. LINK

Or you can buy a set of 7, that includes sizes 1/8" to 1/2" (in 16th increments) for $72.

Both are premium quality.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-01-2022 at 10:00 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Lee Valley sells an excellent quality set that they manufacture by CNC grinding standard HSS bits to a brad point. They are brilliantly sharp and durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    If you order from a reliable source that specifically says "Made in Austria" that's what you will get, but they probably won't cost what you want to pay. Buy once, cry once.
    What I should have said is you may not get the performance you expect for what you want to pay. The labor costs in the country of origin may be reflected in in the price, but the design and steel and machining quality are more important to results. One feature distinguishing Lee Valley and Fuller brad points from the Fisch set you are looking at is the spurs which score the surface before the lips start cutting and make for a clean entry. 29 high quality bits for $70 may be too good of a deal.

I recommend hex or three lob shanks so they do not spin in the chuck. Important for larger sizes.
    Bill D