Thread: Record 7 Plane in "like New" Condition

Record 7 Plane in "like New" Condition

This is a beautiful example of the Record #7.
    When I acquired it, there were no signs of use, and I kept it that way. I am not an expert, but the blade seems full length and the knob and tote have the original shiny finish with no signs of handling. There are a couple of slight "smudges" on the steel from a life on the shelf, but no scratches or other marks.
    I really don't know how to determine the value of this beauty. Examples on the Bay have sold recently for well over $$200 plus shipping. How about 165 plus shipping from Philadelphia 19129. If that is off, please let me know. Thanks for looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020774.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	470853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020777.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	470855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020775.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	470856
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020775.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	470854  
    Last edited by Ron Kanter; 01-01-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ron, that is a beauty of a plane. Recently my attention has been on #4 Stanley/Bailey planes and prices are crazy compared to the time most of my planes were purchased. Back then $40 for a pristine #3 seemed a bit high to me.

It is nice to know most of my old tools can now be sold for a lot more than they cost me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Price Reduced to $150

Anyone want to make me a reasonable offer before I list this on that auction site we all love to hate

I could put this to work, PM sent!

Ian, sent you a posive reply!

If I hadn't already had one, I would have bought it. I really like the Record planes. I have a number of them I bought new, and would be satisfied if all my Stanley planes were Records instead.

The Record is on its way to a new home with Ian.

The Record plane arrived quickly and well-packaged, thanks Ron! As described, it's in near perfect condition. I spent the morning tuning it up and honing the blade then put it to work on a piece of walnut, smooth and effortless in action.

I have been using the recent chilly weather to tune up last winter's $5 local find as well, a bright red ~70's Sears #4 plane made by Millers Falls. I thought I might be starting a collection of garishly colorful planes, but the blue is slightly more subdued than in the original photo, I like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3322 copy.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	471579

The Record plane needed only minimal tuning... the lever cap was quite convex seating poorly to the chipbreaker, the blade rocked slightly on the frog, and the frog itself rocked slightly, otherwise standard fare with barely any rust removal.

I am happy to buy from a knowledgeable seller and would definitely trust Ron's judgment in future listings! Now I need to find some projects to put it to use.
    Last edited by Ian Paterson; 01-13-2022 at 7:00 PM.