Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop ICS Problems and Support

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    and I have to correct myself here. The vendor didn't offer to take it back at 25% restocking fee. They offered to take it back on consignment. They'd sell it for whatever they could get, and keep 25% for themselves.

Which is even worse.
    Wow...just wow...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If the arbor rotation is opposite of the threads, how can a nut come loose other than a sudden braking or stopping of the blade?

I've heard this before and simply can't see how it can happen.

All I ever do is snug the arbor nut, I never crank down really hard, in 40 years of ww'ing I've never had a nut come loose or a blade stop spinning.

I'm going to guess, that like my old unisaw, your saw has no blade brake.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Bryan Hall: thanks for the link about the dado accident.

Do the kickback pieces showed any sign of burning. I had a similar problem on a PM66 that Glenn Bradley helped me correct. The problem was that the plane of the table caused the back of the blade during bevel cuts to be higher than the front of the blade. In other words, it was an uphill ramp from front to back. This was not a problem when cutting at 90 degrees but when tilted, the blade was pinching the wood and cutting it shorter than the front of the blade. If this does not make sense, I can provide additional details. Maybe the SS setup checks this possible alignment issue. The new arbor and table top may correct the problem. Good luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Do the kickback pieces showed any sign of burning. I had a similar problem on a PM66 that Glenn Bradley helped me correct. The problem was that the plane of the table caused the back of the blade during bevel cuts to be higher than the front of the blade. In other words, it was an uphill ramp from front to back. This was not a problem when cutting at 90 degrees but when tilted, the blade was pinching the wood and cutting it shorter than the front of the blade. If this does not make sense, I can provide additional details. Maybe the SS setup checks this possible alignment issue. The new arbor and table top may correct the problem. Good luck!
    There's a belly at the outfeed side of the center of the table. IMO, it's not enough to cause an issue at 90, but yes, with arbor wobbly and a slope at 45 I think it makes sense that it's enough to cause an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    If the arbor rotation is opposite of the threads, how can a nut come loose other than a sudden braking or stopping of the blade?

I've heard this before and simply can't see how it can happen.

All I ever do is snug the arbor nut, I never crank down really hard, in 40 years of ww'ing I've never had a nut come loose or a blade stop spinning.
    That's what I was wondering about, too.

Brian, who is your local vendor that you are dealing with?

So I did hear back on a few things:

1. Sawstop tech did verify that the dado stack is good to go, despite not having the nut fully threaded.

2. I did get word from both sawstop, and the vendor, that the repairs are authorized and will be taken care of.

I'll check back in after the repairs are done, but there's still no date set for the work since the table is yet to be delivered.

Last, since the vendor was so opposed to a return, I asked sawstop about it. I was told, under no circumstance will sawstop accept a return. "Logistically, it's not feasible for us to accept the return of a saw that has been assembled. People love these saws."

I thought the people love these saws was an interesting thing to throw in with the same comment? I think everyone is uncomfortable being asked for a return right now. I can also say that SS is the only company that's ever told me they would never accept a return. Perhaps someone else here has returned one? Maybe that's a new policy? It makes sense that the vendor was so standoffish when I brought it up now that I know this. If they can't return it either, then they are stuck with it as a used saw. Still, I think a refund should have been offered, but it sheds a bit more light on the process. I can also say, with the way manufacturing is now, I would have had a hard time buying knowing that there is absolutely no returns allowed.

I'm surprised that SS authorized the vendor to repair the saw given the warranty terms. Maybe that is as far as they will go in lieu of a return. I hope it works out in the end.

If SawStop determines the saw is defective in material or workmanship, and not due to misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, normal wear-and-tear, unauthorized repair or alteration, or lack of maintenance, then SawStop will, at its expense, and upon proof of purchase, send replacement parts to the original retail purchaser necessary to cure the defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I'm surprised that SS authorized the vendor to repair the saw given the warranty terms. Maybe that is as far as they will go in lieu of a return. I hope it works out in the end.

If SawStop determines the saw is defective in material or workmanship, and not due to misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, normal wear-and-tear, unauthorized repair or alteration, or lack of maintenance, then SawStop will, at its expense, and upon proof of purchase, send replacement parts to the original retail purchaser necessary to cure the defect.

I wonder why I would have to fix a problem that Sawstop caused. Does a car manufacturer send you parts to repair a problem that is under warranty. Do they reimburse you for your time to do the repairs. Sat a compressor goes needs warranty work do they just send out a new compressor for you to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I wonder why I would have to fix a problem that Sawstop caused. Does a car manufacturer send you parts to repair a problem that is under warranty. Do they reimburse you for your time to do the repairs. Sat a compressor goes needs warranty work do they just send out a new compressor for you to install.
    I know what you mean, but if you buy a Sawstop that is what they undertake to do in case of problems. I guess they can get away with that because "People love these saws" or they don't read the fine print. Warranty terms vary. Caveat emptor.

I am accustomed to repairing and adjusting machines as I have only two in my shop bought new. If the op's dealer were not local and he was relying on them to do the repair he'd have to ship or schlep the machine a distance, wait for them to get around to it and ship it back. He's already had the new arbor for a week and is still in limbo. If I were in his shoes I would be very unhappy with the situation, but I would take the new parts, install them, get back to work, then order the saw I wanted in the first place, sell the Sawstop when it came in and move on.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-06-2022 at 11:15 AM.

I'd hate to have to pack up a cabinet saw and return it, to effect a repair. That would suck, especially since I'd have to remove much more than just the saw from my shop to get it out. Contrast to a vehicle, which by nature is mobile and capable of being driven to the dealer.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I'd hate to have to pack up a cabinet saw and return it, to effect a repair. That would suck, especially since I'd have to remove much more than just the saw from my shop to get it out. Contrast to a vehicle, which by nature is mobile and capable of being driven to the dealer.
    Would you pack up a refrigerator why can't they send out someone to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Would you pack up a refrigerator why can't they send out someone to fix it
    I would not. But the terms of the warranty don't suggest that I have to repair my refrigerator.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I think it's just an example of the assumptions we make when looking at documents and with customer service in general. It's like the arbor/dado issue that another user felt like it was okay to make the assumption that the nut not being fully threaded was okay, but I wasn't I looked at that from a very literal standpoint.

For the warranty, I guess in my mind I wouldn't even consider this a warranty issue. I think of warranties as protection against breakdown over time. I don't consider them as protection against defective from day 1 issues. ESPECIALLY, if the defective element is related to your safety mechanism which is the #1 selling point and cause of cost for your machine. So, I made the assumption in my mind that if the saw is defective upon delivery, that it would be handled no question. Especially since they have a reputation of "best saw made and best customer service of any company" according to several different vendors.

Sawstop is just across town and my vendor is just a few minutes up the road. I try to buy local so that I have easier access to support if the need arises.

SS did also say that they use my vendor a lot for repairs and that they do good work. I didn't get clarification on whether or not SS paid for the work to be done though.

Vendor said that powermatic has more issues now, but traditionally powermatic would cover labor costs for sending techs to the next state over for repairs. Quite the contrast to SS.