Thread: New Table Saw Frustration

New Table Saw Frustration

So, before Christmas, I ordered a Grizzly GO889 Hybrid Table Saw. I stretched my budget to get to their sale price. I patiently waited for 2 weeks and received it yesterday. I had my neighbor receive it and document shipping damage... which it had some. I got home from work last night and unboxed the main cabinet, moved it onto the waiting mobile base, and was so excited. I anxiously waited all day today to put this together.

At the very first step, putting on the hand wheels, I found the blade angle adjuster was broken and that part of the cabinet was dented. So now I have to package it all up and have it picked up, get refunded, and reorder. I'm very upset and bummed out. I really like this saw and do want another, but it will be weeks before I'm cutting wood.

Just had to vent...

If you can live with the dent, you can call and they will send you the part and give some refund for the dent.
    Charlie Jones

I wish that were the case. I paid for the saw with PayPal. PayPal doesn’t allow for replacement parts, just refund. I’m guessing that’s to protect buyers.

My intent isn’t to bash Grizzly… this wasn’t their fault. The saw itself is way nicer than I even expected. I was / am upset because I have to get the saw back on the pallet, repackage, and be at the mercy of Saia to return the saw so that I can get another roll of the dice.

PayPal has no effect on you picking up the phone and calling grizzly to get the parts if you can live with the dent. Grizzly can do a refund through PayPal, if for some strange reason they can’t, ask them for a couple blades or something else. You packaging up the saw is a major PITA for a little dent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sonego View Post
    ...I found the blade angle adjuster was broken and that part of the cabinet was dented....
    Do you mean the knob was damaged (i.e., could replace the knob), or that the tilt mechanism itself was damaged and the blade can't be tilted?

Matt

Call Grizzly before going any farther, packing up and shiping back would be the last thing I would do

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Call Grizzly before going any farther, packing up and shiping back would be the last thing I would do
    +1. From what I've read in threads here over the years, Grizzly is normally reasonable. Be polite and reasonable and they will be too. Where customers seem to have problems with them, is when customers themselves get unreasonable. (For example, expecting Grizzly to pay to re-crate for a small dent. Which you arent doing, obviously.) I'll bet they'll take care of you.

Please follow up here and let us know how it works out.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Grizzly CS was pretty good to me when I got some new bad tools from them. Just get on the phone and they'll likely overnight some parts to you.

Sorry about your delivery problem.
    Don’t assume that what you see on the outside is the only damage you got. A few years ago I was in the very same situation with delivery of G1023. The arrived packaging was slightly damaged and the only problem seems to be broken pointer bracket. Grizzly sent me replacement part right away and I was satisfied with the saw. Only a few weeks later, when I was troubleshooting why I had so much wood burning while making cuts at 45°, did I realize that the back trunnion was broken and I was loosing blade alignment with the fence.
    My point is you need to take off the table and carefully inspect all internal parts of the saw to make decision how to proceed.

Wow… not the reaction I expected. Maybe my posts weren’t clear. I already talked to Grizzly CS. They saw the pictures. I could live with dent, but shouldn’t have to. However, the dent isn’t the problem. The blade title rod and assembly are bent and broke. Aside from the obvious wobble of the tilt shaft, when turned , the shaft just comes out of the cabinet. There’s nothing in the cabinet to support the shaft.

They told me it wouldn’t be a simple fix. They would have sent a new “box 1” but couldn’t due to PayPal policy.

Finally, I’ll say it again, I’m not bashing Grizzly. They can’t control the way freight companies handle things. Just frustrated that I won’t be cutting wood until after more weeks pass by.

Wow… not the reaction I expected. Maybe my posts weren’t clear. I already talked to Grizzly CS. They saw the pictures. I could live with dent, but shouldn’t have to. However, the dent isn’t the problem. The blade title rod and assembly are bent and broke. Aside from the obvious wobble of the tilt shaft, when turned , the shaft just comes out of the cabinet. There’s nothing in the cabinet to support the shaft.

They told me it wouldn’t be a simple fix. They would have sent a new “box 1” but couldn’t due to PayPal policy.

Finally, I’ll say it again, I’m not bashing Grizzly. They can’t control the way freight companies handle things. Just frustrated that I won’t be cutting wood until after more weeks pass by.
    Ok, this is a lot more info than your initial post, if you would have led with this, then you probably would have gotten a lot more of “that stinks you need to send it back”. Hopefully you can’t get it boxed and shipped back and they deliver you a new saw.

LOL. I had a neighbor help me lift it out of the mobile base and back on the skid. Unfortunately, i didn’t put enough thought into doing that because it now sits in the middle of my work space until shipper picks it up. If I had half a brain in my head, I would have put it in a better spot. DUH!

I wish that were the case. I paid for the saw with PayPal. PayPal doesn’t allow for replacement parts, just refund. I’m guessing that’s to protect buyers.

My intent isn’t to bash Grizzly… this wasn’t their fault. The saw itself is way nicer than I even expected. I was / am upset because I have to get the saw back on the pallet, repackage, and be at the mercy of Saia to return the saw so that I can get another roll of the dice.

Chris, I think damage in transit is the shippers fault in how they package it for shipping. If they beefed up the crate it might not get damaged... Better to get where it is going and cost a little more than having the customer mess with this. Grizzly and others can & do specify how the factory packages their products. I worked with China based suppliers and this was always part of the contract with language they pay for not meeting the packaging specification. I worked for a motor manufacturer and we would not ship anything with a 180 frame UPS domestically. UPS damaged a high percentage of these and as the shipper we were blamed for the damage. Motor was just to heavy for people processing these via UPS. They would pick them up and throw them on the conveyor because they were too heavy. Brian
    Brian

We spend a huge amount of time on planning packaging for shipment. I imagine most manufacturers do. We still have shipping damage occasionally. How do you plan for every eventuality?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    We spend a huge amount of time on planning packaging for shipment. I imagine most manufacturers do. We still have shipping damage occasionally. How do you plan for every eventuality?

Mike: I agree you can't eliminate all damage, but I think some companies live with the damage, not saying Grizzly does, VS spending a little extra to get it right. Hard sides that don't have openings and can't be deflected would greatly improve this. Strapped cardboard on a skid or open sided wooden crates even seem to be an accident waiting to happen. Brian
    Brian