Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the Grocery Store

The Costco stores near me are a madhouse on Friday evenings and Saturdays. Friday evenings more so in the summer when everybody is buying mass quantities of food for get togethers over the weekend. It is not uncommon on a Saturday afternoon to have 50 to 75 customers in line to check out, but it usually fairly orderly. I went to Costco on Wednesday during my lunch hour. I had to park in the back 40 during the day on a weekday. I suppose a lot of folks were off work this week.

The only reason I have a Costco membership is for my concession stand once a month for the warmer half of the year. My membership expires today and I don't plan to renew until April or May to save a few bucks. I would save enough for myself to justify a membership, but I save plenty on stuff for my concession stand.

saves us a ton just on dog food alone.

had a delicious hotdog lunch a couple days ago at their location near fort Collins.

the store we used to go to burned down yesterday, along with the entire shopping center around it including a target due to the fire near boulder co.

Blog Entries
    We have been members for years, I’m usually there every week or two.
    Pretty good stock too, up 51% this year😊
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The thing about membership stores is you have to have a job or be retired to join.
    Eh? Costco gives membership discounts to people in certain professions, but anybody with a valid government-issue photo ID and $60 can join.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Eh? Costco gives membership discounts to people in certain professions, but anybody with a valid government-issue photo ID and $60 can join.
    Used to be you had to be employed or retired from a government or large employer. Ironic that costco was not really good enough to let their own workers join. But they bent the rules and let them shop there.
    Bill D

Used to be you had to be employed or retired from a government or large employer. Ironic that costco was not really good enough to let their own workers join. But they bent the rules and let them shop there.
    Bill D
    You may be thinking of the UK version of Costco, which runs by different rules than its US counterpart even now. https://customercare.costco.co.uk/ap.../kw/membership

One of Costco's predecessors (Price Club) required you to be a business owner, but that went away with the Costco/PriceClub merger in the '90. AFAICT Costco itself never had membership restrictions, just different membership price tiers.
    https://www.mashed.com/283026/costco...lot-different/
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Those big member shopping warehouses really tick me off. In the past 25 yrs, I have been members at Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club as well as two others that went out of business. BJ's has a much bigger selection than the others, but the prices are often a few cents higher than our grocery store. I can frequently find things cheaper at Walmart than at Sam's Club and the lines and waiting at costco in Lancaster pa are just ridiculous time wastes. In addition, the electronics are often higher than at Best Buy and Best Buy carries newer stock. To top it off, we have a couple of discount grocery and produce outlets near here. Went to the grocery outlet yesterday morning. 8 oz pkgs of Brie were 2 for a $1. The expiration date is January 1, 2022. I bought six of them. We don't eat brie, but that is dirt cheap just to cut into chunks as dog treats. They had holiday cheese trays on close out, $1.50 for 24 oz of cheddar and colby cheese chunks. Exp date January 14, 2022. I'll freeze it and use it for broccoli cheese soup or mac and cheese. 3 lbs of Canadian bacon slices for $3.00 same thing buy it and into the freezer. Tropicana Orange juice Expiration date 1-10-22, (we had screwdrivers last night) Two 48 oz bottles for $2.00. The problem with the grocery outlet, is you never know what they will have. We have a produce auction nearby every Tuesday evening. Anything and everything. A couple years ago, I bought 80 pounds of limes for $4.00. I squeezed them all and froze the juice. I am still making Limeade. Bought a case of pluots for $2. One New Years eve, I bought ten gallons of rum raisin ice cream for $3.00. I fed it to the hogs we had at the time. Bought a case of fresh ginger once. 25 cents. Took it home, sliced and candied it. Again, you never know what they will have, but they will have lots of it. My wife had never had butternut squash and we bought three cases of the stuff for 10 cents each. We made cookies, soup, roasted, pies, etc. It is loud and rowdy and the auctioneer is always cracking stupid jokes. A hell of a lot more fun than Costco. Ever get to Mannheim PA on a tuesday afternoon or evening, stop at Roots Farmer's Market.

The thing about membership stores is you have to have a job or be retired to join. People who work tend to be better behaved then most This also reduces the amount of bad checks they have to cover.
    Bill D
    Nope. If you can walk in the door and give them either $60 or $120, depending on Star Membership or Executive Membership, you are a member. Maybe you're thinking about some other firm.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    saves us a ton just on dog food alone.

had a delicious hotdog lunch a couple days ago at their location near fort Collins.

the store we used to go to burned down yesterday, along with the entire shopping center around it including a target due to the fire near boulder co.
    Do you have any links to news articles talking about the Costco store actually being involved in the fire other than the store being smoke damaged at minimum? I have done several web searches and all of the articles about the Costco store just mention the emergency evacuation of the store. There is a video going around that someone took showing his evacuation from the store and the huge clouds of smoke. Costco has not issued any news release about the store and the store finder on their website doesn't mention the store being closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Do you have any links to news articles talking about the Costco store actually being involved in the fire other than the store being smoke damaged at minimum? I have done several web searches and all of the articles about the Costco store just mention the emergency evacuation of the store. There is a video going around that someone took showing his evacuation from the store and the huge clouds of smoke. Costco has not issued any news release about the store and the store finder on their website doesn't mention the store being closed.
    No link, but an aerial clip of that shopping center showed up on ABC news Friday(?) night, showing the front of Target and Costco with what looked like portions of the roof burned off.

As I recall, when Sam's Club first opened, way back when, membership was limited to people in certain professions. But it hasn't been that way for awhile.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I saw the same in news coverage this morning...that shopping center definitely had major fire damage. The local official also mentioned loss of the Target and Costco.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

is it worth it for a single guy to get a membership
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I'd say no, unless you can store large quantities (rolls of TP come in packs of 32). If you buy bulk, you probably wont go often enough to make it worthwhile. Gas is usually cheaper, tires. Find a friend who is a member and get them to take you occasionally.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I'd say for $60 what do you have to lose? Only you know your buying habits and how close you are to a store. One or two big purchases might be all you need to break even. After the year's up you can renew or walk away.