Thread: Some Questions about Dust Collection / Electrical outlets on Workbench

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some Questions about Dust Collection / Electrical outlets on Workbench

Hello - I am in the planning stage of wanting to build a 4'x8' mobile workbench that will house the power tools - table saw, router, miter saw, planer, and drill press. My needs are simple, just DIY home projects for a novice woodworker.
    I was able to find an existing plan on Sketchup that I intend to follow with some modifications. A picture of the dust collection system is shown below.

pic.png

I checked the the diameter of the dust ports on the power tools. They are 2 1/4'' for table saw/router table fence/planer, and 1 1/2'' for miter saw. For the handheld tools they are all 1 1/4'' (I will buy the rockler rubber attachments for these to hook to one of the stations). My shop vac is a Ridgid 16gal, with 2 1/2'' dust port. Right now, I'm using filter bags, but maybe I could make a dust separator. I would like to use PVC DWV pipe (unless there is a cheaper option) for routing all the connections.

My questions:

1. I see PVC pipe at HD/Lowe's comes in 2'' or 3'' (don't see 2.5''). Would it be better to go with 2'' pipe and then use 2 to 2.5'' adapters at the ends or use a 3'' pipe and use 3'' to 2.5'' adapters? The adapters would connect to the flexible coiled pipes to hook into the power tool dust ports.
    2. Is PVC pipe the correct way to go or should I use something else?

I would also like to add some electrical outlets that provide power to all of these tools with an emergency stop on each side of the table that will kill power to all the tools. During use, I will connect a power cord between this power strip and the garage wall outlet. The planer/router are rated at 15A.

1. What kind of power strip do I need to get to ensure the tools are getting sufficient power and won't trip? And how to integrate the emergency stop switches?

I'm not really sure how the electrical setup should look like. I will see if I can consult an electrician for guidance but any thoughts here would be helpful. Thank you.
    Last edited by pallav gupta; 12-30-2021 at 2:10 PM.