Thread: Paint/finish for dining room chairs

Paint/finish for dining room chairs

My wife bought some unfinished chairs for our dining room table and asked me to paint them a satin black except for the chair seats (which will be stained and finished). I was thinking about using either Benjamin Moore Advance or General Finishes Enduro Black Poly since they are both readily available (I can pick them up in person), and clean up with water. I have sprayed the BM Advance before with good results, but have not used the GF Enduro Poly. I plan on spraying them with my Fuji Mini-Mite 4. Based on the intended use is one better suited than the other? For anyone with experience using both, is one easier to use/more durable/etc. vs. the other? Are there any alternative water based finishes that I am overlooking that I could use that are relatively easy to get a hold of? Also, if there is an existing thread that could help please feel free to point me to it.

Thanks,

-Scott

I've sprayed both of those products. Advance is a good product, flows out great, but takes forever to dry and eternity to cure. Enduro White/Black Poly dries very quickly and can easily be handled the same day. Full cure takes a week or so, but it's night and day faster than Advance. Advance never cures as hard as Enduro W/B Poly is after just a day or two. I found Enduro W/B Poly a little harder to spray than Advance. You have to be careful not to spray so heavy that you get sags or runs but heavy enough to avoid dry overspray. That could be an issue spraying a chair. You'll need to stay conscious of which way you are spraying to avoid getting overspray on parts already sprayed. Other than that, it's a great product.

A couple more options would be TC's EM-6600 black lacquer, and SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. The SW's product is a hybrid like Advance but dries and cures much faster. It flows out beautifully and is very durable.

With your turbine gun you probably can spray Enduro W/B Poly and EM-6600 w/o thinning.

A completely different option would be GF's Milk Paint. You can spray it but it goes on great with a brush with no brush marks. For added durability you could spray Enduro Clear Poly or High Performance over it. I've used that combination on several projects and it works very well.

John