Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Been Car shopping lately?

This is about the worst time ever to "have" to buy a vehicle. But there can also be opportunities if one can garner one of the very high offers from places like CarMax, Carvana, etc., that balances both the higher price to be paid for a new vehicle as well as the loss of any sales tax advantage available in some states with a trade-in. If you only like to buy used vehicles...this is truly a horrible time for you for sure! New may very well be the better deal. My advise, unless you have an unbelievable offer on existing, wait another year or so until supply chain calms and manufacturing gets back to something "more like prior normal".

Bottom line...do the math carefully!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Perry, glad to hear you are so pleased with your recent dealings. Around here there seems to be lots of available vehicles on the lots as I drive around. Maybe not as many as before but plenty to choose from. Trucks are certainly available. No idea on prices as I am not currently in the market.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I bought my 2015 LaCrosse in 2019 and just traded in September. I "upgraded" to a 2018 Enclave.
    Dealer had been sitting on the Enclave for a few months and it was about $5k below other comparables. And it was the exact color and package i wanted. When they offered me almost what I paid for the LaCrosse it became a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    It's a crazy world in the car sales business now. We had a lease due to expire soon, so went looking for the next ride. Turns out we got cash offers for a 2 1/2 year old sedan that were very, very close to the original MSRP and almost twice as much as the residual buy out. We basically got all payments made on the lease (monthly and up front) returned to us, crazy. Used the car for 30 months, 33K miles, changed oil, rotated tires and bought gas and got our money back.

Just thought it may help if you weren't aware of what is going on and you may be considering a change.

Perry
    With inflation and scarcity in the new- and used-car markets, you didn’t really get your money back…
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've got a car on order and the expected delivery date keeps moving, by many months at a time-- originally next October, then February, back to November, and now end of March. It suggests chaos in the production pipeline. I'm not holding my breath, and am keeping my Mini together with duct tape and baling wire.

Hey Jason, if you saw the actual numbers you may not have said that. But I do agree that cash is worth less than it was a couple of years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    With inflation and scarcity in the new- and used-car markets, you didn’t really get your money back…
    No, they got someone else's money back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Totaled a 2015 Mustang V6, auto, Orange, no accidents, original owner when an idiot ran a stop sign, 12-5-2021. Insurance gave me a check for 20k, not an identical one available on autotrader.com in the US at that time, other colors were running 22k and up
    Got an offer from a local dealer in the mail for 15.5k last week for it.
    Bought a 2018 Ford Edge SEL 26k miles, 3 hrs away for 30k at a Chevy dealer. Wife has been wanting an SUV but would not trade the Mustang in as it was her first new car and I had bought it for her. She didn't believe I bought it until I picked her from a doctors appt in it. The Edge is Silver a color my wife dislikes, it has almost all options so she puts up with it as it was all I could find at that time in 300 miles. Wanted V6, dual climate control, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, remote start. Has lots more, sunroof all the way back that Sophia, English Mastiff, still is not used to yet. Heated steering wheel that my wife says is now a necessity, heated mirrors, gps, etc
    Could not find exactly what we wanted in the short time we had, however found a better deal that thought we could at this time.
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 01-01-2022 at 12:51 PM. Reason: correction

Blog Entries
    I've been looking at the Maverick but haven't been able to find one (I'm in the New York area). Personally I don't think it's worth 5k over list but that's me.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Totaled a 2015 Mustang V6, auto, Orange, no accidents, original owner when an idiot ran a stop sign, 12-5-2021. Insurance gave me a check for 20k, not an identical one available on autotrader.com in the US at that time, other colors were running 22k and up
    Got an offer from a local dealer in the mail for 15.5k last week for it.
    Bought a 2018 Ford Edge SEL 26k miles, 3 hrs away for 30k at a Chevy dealer. Wife has been wanting an SUV but would not trade the Mustang in as it was her first new car and I had bought it for her. She didn't believe I bought it until I picked her from a doctors appt in it. The Edge is Silver a color my wife dislikes, it has almost all options so she puts up with it as it was all I could find at that time in 300 miles. Wanted V6, dual climate control, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, remote start. Has lots more, sunroof all the way back that Sophia, English Mastiff, still is not used to yet. Heated steering wheel that my wife says is now a necessity, heated mirrors, gps, etc
    Could not find exactly what we wanted in the short time we had, however found a better deal that thought we could at this time.
    Ron
    Not sure I understand. Your car was totalled, insurance gave you $20k and you kept the car and then a dealer offered you $15 for the wreck? What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not sure I understand. Your car was totalled, insurance gave you $20k and you kept the car and then a dealer offered you $15 for the wreck? What am I missing?
    After the insurance payoff you can keep the vehicle. They won't tell you that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Sure, you can keep the vehicle, but they deduct it from your payoff. At minimum a car is worth a few hundred dollars as scrap. The cars only hit in the front or back are often sold to rebuilders who cut two crashed cars in half and put the two good halves back together. Cars that are not rebuildable may have plenty of good parts to sell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    After the insurance payoff you can keep the vehicle. They won't tell you that.
    Not sure, this may be a different situation from one state to another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I signed the title over to insurance company, car was gone.
    Found it interesting that a local dealer sent me a letter trying to buy the car, not knowing it was now totaled for 5k less and making a big deal out of how much they were willing to pay for it.
    Ron

Blog Entries
    We have a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country that we got from CarMax. The extended warranty will expire next year. I researched getting another extended warranty when this on expires. We can get bumper to bumper coverage for a whole lot less than a car payment. So that’s how we will ride out this mess.