Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Been Car shopping lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I signed the title over to insurance company, car was gone.
    Found it interesting that a local dealer sent me a letter trying to buy the car, not knowing it was now totaled for 5k less and making a big deal out of how much they were willing to pay for it.
    Ron
    Thanks for clarifying, sounds like the insurance payment was reasonable, the dealer can't offer full market value since they plan to resell it for market value and make a profit.

This ad just popped up on another website, from a local Chevy dealer--
    f150.jpg

--Seriously? A 6 year old 1/2 ton Ford they're asking north of $30k-? I'd almost bet it left the dealer brand new in 2016 for less than that...

crazy-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    This ad just popped up on another website, from a local Chevy dealer--
    f150.jpg

--Seriously? A 6 year old 1/2 ton Ford they're asking north of $30k-? I'd almost bet it left the dealer brand new in 2016 for less than that...

crazy-
    A quick Googling indicates for a base model this is true:

2016 MSRP Ford F150.png

It will likely be like this a bit longer due to supply chain issues for computer chips and other items.

Soon many vehicles will become electric. This may cause another increase in prices for those who wish to remain users of fossil fuel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I saw a news report this week that said Ford was shutting down 7-8 plants in the US because of chip shortage. Only one to stay open is the Transit line, which is here in KC, but at reduced capacity.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I just got a new car. I felt fortunate I only paid MSRP. They took a trade even though it was the subject of a recall with no remedy available yet and didn’t really lowball that much. I’m glad it’s over.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I just got a new car. I felt fortunate I only paid MSRP. They took a trade even though it was the subject of a recall with no remedy available yet and didn’t really lowball that much. I’m glad it’s over.
    That's good the dealer played ball with you. A number of Subaru Ascent owners wanting to trade are running into issues because of an open recall that's not yet fully published and still likely a month away from the required software fix.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On a whim, a friend posted his 2012 Toyota x-cab pickup on CL for an outrageously high price. The pickup had no frills and roughly 300k miles on it. It sold for his asking price within a matter of hours.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I had a 2015 3/4T Chevy HD 2500 with a gas motor that I bought used in 2017. The truck had 112,000 miles on it when I traded it, and I bought it with fairly high miles.

I started thinking about the resale value down the road and the miles that would be on the truck when I retire a few years down the road.

I looked at what they were getting for trucks like mine with the same miles and then started looking at new Duramax diesels as a replacement. I pull a pretty heavy camper sometimes and know the resale on the diesel is going to be better down the road.

Anyway, I saw some new diesels at Dave Smith Motors which is a high volume dealer not too far from me. Every truck they had listed on their website was "spoken for" which was aggravating, as they were represented as available. They told me I could order a truck and it would be available in January or February (This was is October).

The next day after emailing with them I checked back at our local dealer and saw a 2022 Duramax that I hadn't seen before. I called the dealer and the salesman said - that one is spoken for but I have its twin that is available. I told him to put my name on it. I went down the next day and they gave me $4,000 less than I paid originally for my '15, on trade.

I don't know if my situation is typical. I see the Chevy lot is still pretty bare. I got lucky I think finding an available truck, and am happy with the price I paid. I see my old truck is still on their lot (for almost $10k more than they gave me). I think the dealers can get greedy on the used vehicles but I they are limited (I believe) on what they can sell a new one for.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Anyway, I saw some new diesels at Dave Smith Motors which is a high volume dealer not too far from me. Every truck they had listed on their website was "spoken for" which was aggravating, as they were represented as available.
    Many years ago in the days of live TV a car dealer (in Los Angeles if my memory is working) would offer cars at ridiculous prices in his commercials. Of course they would already be sold when anyone showed up asking for them. One guy had the bright idea to set up near by watching programs on which he advertised and waiting. When the car lot's commercial came on live and a car and price was mentioned he ran up to him live and said, "I'll take it."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I drove by a small town Chevrolet dealer a couple of weeks ago and they had like eight cars total on the lot. They had them in one widely spaced row across the middle of the parking lot.

I've kind of followed this thread and am curious. I drive by a good sized Ford dealer in Doylestown, PA. frequently. His lots are full.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've kind of followed this thread and am curious. I drive by a good sized Ford dealer in Doylestown, PA. frequently. His lots are full.
    The Beans organization is pretty much a high volume retailer for all or nearly all the brands they offer. That's very helpful at the present time when it comes to allocation. Small dealers, like the one Brian just mentioned, are in a really disadvantageous situation right now since even in normal times, their allocations are sparse due to normal sales patterns. The Thompson and Keanan organizations are also in relatively good shape as they also do volume business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe Ford is doing better than GM. Ford has certainly had their share of issues like thousands of pickups parked outdoors waiting for electronics so they could be shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Maybe Ford is doing better than GM. Ford has certainly had their share of issues like thousands of pickups parked outdoors waiting for electronics so they could be shipped.
    Brian, I know you're in the IT biz so you probably know about this. I'm not in that biz but follow it as a hobbyist. According to some publications, IC manufacturing investment has followed the latest, greatest, sexiest and most profitable. Capacity for old boring but still widely used chips has languished even as vehicles use ever more electronics. Guess what kind of chips are used in motor vehicles? Yup, the old boring kind. Capacity is being added but building a chip fab is neither quick nor cheap.

Brian, I know you're in the IT biz so you probably know about this. I'm not in that biz but follow it as a hobbyist. According to some publications, IC manufacturing investment has followed the latest, greatest, sexiest and most profitable. Capacity for old boring but still widely used chips has languished even as vehicles use ever more electronics. Guess what kind of chips are used in motor vehicles? Yup, the old boring kind. Capacity is being added but building a chip fab is neither quick nor cheap.
    I work in IT, but nothing to do with chips or any of that. The only thing I know is some IT equipment we have ordered has taken a long time to get. I don't know if the equipment was delayed due to chips, shipping, demand, or a combination of the three.

All I know about the chip situation in general is what anyone can read on the web.