Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA rechargeable batteries

AA rechargeable batteries

I have a Canon camera, S5is that uses AA batteries. I tried the typical NiMH rechargeable cells but I may get 6 pictures before having to replace them, NiMH voltages run about 1.2 - 1.25 volts in my experience. This camera really prefers no less than 1.5 volts so typical alkaline aren't that great either. I discovered Nickel Zinc batteries a few years ago. They're usually 1.8 volts straight off the charger and 1.6 volts after a few hours. They maintain 1.6 volts until they need to be recharged. It's a shame this chemistry doesn't get more attention, nickel and zinc are readily available and don't have thermal overtemp issues. The self discharge isn't bad but not as good as the low self discharge NiMH batteries I don't think. A complaint I've seen is that they're 'only' good for about 500 charge/discharge cycles. I can live with 500 cycles, still cheaper than disposable alkaline. Quality control during manufacture may be an issue as well, I've had a couple NiZn cells drop to about .87 volts which others in the same device are 1.6 volts.

I just saw on Amazon that rechargeable AA Lithium Ion batteries are now available. Might have to try some of those out. I haven't really researched them yet, wonder what the self discharge rate is.

I remember reading years ago that rechargeable batteries should not be used in cameras. I don’t remember the details.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I remember reading years ago that rechargeable batteries should not be used in cameras. I don’t remember the details.
    My Canon T-2i SLR uses rechargeable battery packs only.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Project Farm on YouTube has done some very good testing of rechargeable AA batteries. Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Almost all cameras use only rechargeable batteries these days, none of the cameras I've had in the last 20 years have had an option for AAs or anything other than a proprietary rechargeable.

I've used Panasonic Eneloops (they're NiMH) in my Canon s5is since I purchased it in 2008 for use on a family vacation to Yosemite. I can attest that 2 - 4 packs lasted the 8 hours on the Panorama trail. (I own two four packs and may have used only one on the trail - can't remember that far back). I still have the originals and know they can take a charge but can't comment on their current life due to infrequent use. IIRC they were recommended on the s5is forum.

They're available on Amazon (I remember purchasing mine at Costco and saw they were still carrying them a few months ago). Panasonic's website on the batteries presents life comparison to others.

That was a great camera in the day. Comparatively small in size to a SLR but loaded with features and took great pictures. Unfortunately, the camera's sensor (8 MP) is significantly lower than what you can get in the same price range today.

I wish Canon produced that same camera today with an updated sensor. The closest they have is the SX70 (which my daughter owns) but it is much larger in size. They make other similar models in size but without a viewfinder. I have found - after having cataract surgery two years ago - that it sucks to have to take reading glasses on hikes to be able to read the screen on the back of the camera.
    Last edited by Bob Turkovich; 02-09-2022 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Terminology
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

I am a big fan of Eneloop AAs too. I used to use them in Canon point-and-shoot cameras and they worked very well, but when I built my first canoe in 2014 I bought a waterproof camera that uses a Li-Ion battery that's sort of flat and square. I still use eneloops in my earmuffs, headlamp, flashlight, CD walkman etc, and the original sets I bought back in 2009 and 2010 are still going great. I use them daily, sometimes for several hours. I keep a pair handy in the shop so when the pair I am using runs low I can put them in the charger and put in a recently charged set right away.

I cannot be 100% sure but from memory I believe there was an article that suggested the AA rechargeable batteries sold by Ikea (Ladda brand) may be Panasonic Eneloops

please copy and paste link below

https://www.slrlounge.com/panasonic-eneloop-vs-ikea-ladda-are-they-the-same/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20speculated%20rebranded,v ery%20similar%20to%20Eneloop%20Pros.&text=In%20oth er%20words%2C%20there%20is,MH)%20and%20that%20is%2 0FDK.
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 02-09-2022 at 5:00 AM.

+1 on eneloops. I have many(80 or so) with 2 small kids, Wifes holiday candles, and my hobbies everything uses batteries . They even have adapters to use them as C & D batteries I have some high output that give you more power but less cycles (1700 vs 2200 or something like that). I havent figured out the difference between Sanyo and panasonic yet though.

What's the voltage on the eneloops? I think they're NiMH so I'd assume around 1.2 volts but I've never checked. I think the eneloops were one of the first if not the first ultra low self discharge rechargeables. Previous rechargeables self discharged at something like .5% - 1% per day so 30 days in a drawer and the capacity was reduced a fair bit before using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    I've used Panasonic Eneloops (they're NiMH) in my Canon s5is since I purchased it in 2008 for use on a family vacation to Yosemite. I can attest that 2 - 4 packs lasted the 8 hours on the Panorama trail. (I own two four packs and may have used only one on the trail - can't remember that far back). I still have the originals and know they can take a charge but can't comment on their current life due to infrequent use. IIRC they were recommended on the s5is forum.

They're available on Amazon (I remember purchasing mine at Costco and saw they were still carrying them a few months ago). Panasonic's website on the batteries presents life comparison to others.

That was a great camera in the day. Comparatively small in size to a SLR but loaded with features and took great pictures. Unfortunately, the camera's sensor (8 MP) is significantly lower than what you can get in the same price range today.

I wish Canon produced that same camera today with an updated sensor. The closest they have is the SX70 (which my daughter owns) but it is much larger in size. They make other similar models in size but without a viewfinder. I have found - after having cataract surgery two years ago - that it sucks to have to take reading glasses on hikes to be able to read the screen on the back of the camera.
    In my inexpert opinion, megapixel rating is overrated. AFAIK, megapixel is 'dot density'. The photograph can be viewed or printed in a larger size without becoming grainy. There are other aspects of a camera that may have more effect on the final product than megapixels, particularly when viewed or printed in 'snapshot' sizes. Things like image processor, glass/lens quality that sort of thing but those can be hard for marketers to sell, megapixels are one number so easy, mine is bigger than yours. I suppose that devices with higher megapixels may also have higher quality components but how do you measure that? Reviews from trustworthy publications is the only way I know.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-09-2022 at 9:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    In my inexpert opinion, megapixel rating is overrated. AFAIK, megapixel is 'dot density'. The photograph can be viewed or printed in a larger size without becoming grainy. There are other aspects of a camera that may have more effect on the final product than megapixels, particularly when viewed or printed in 'snapshot' sizes. Things like image processor, glass/lens quality that sort of thing but those can be hard for marketers to sell, megapixels are one number so easy, mine is bigger than yours. I suppose that devices with higher megapixels may also have higher quality components but how do you measure that? Reviews from trustworthy publications is the only way I know.
    Agree to a point. I have seen pictures blown up to small posters taken on a 5MP cheap camera that are amazing. So you can get great pictures with low MP. But if you wanted to crop or blow up larger a larger MP rating will help

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I havent figured out the difference between Sanyo and panasonic yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Per the following Wikipedia link, Sanyo was taken over by Panasonic over 10 years ago. My Eneloops have the Sanyo label.

The link also has historic performance data as Panasonic has refined the batteries over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

My daughter (a Fine Arts student at the time) frequently borrowed my S5is for class projects as it was much more portable than her SLR. She eventually purchased the SX70 and did some A/B comparison photos on a trip to Zion/GC/Arches/etc. about three years ago. The pictures taken by the SX70 were typically better. I attributed it to the MP difference but you are correct that it may be some other factor (e.g., lens quality).
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

I had a Samsung camera that didn't like anything but fully charged batteries. The only thing that seemed to work reliably was the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. You can buy them in a 24 pack for a reasonable price. In the end I just moved on from that camera. Now the only cameras I use came with rechargeable batteries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My Canon T-2i SLR uses rechargeable battery packs only.

Ditto on all my cameras. They are not typical form factors but, reasonably priced and rechargeable none the less. What batteries does the manufacturer recommend? I would use those.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler