Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Been Car shopping lately?

Blog Entries
    We are hunkering down waiting for better prices. Our solution is extended warranties. Our minivan is a 2014 and the CarMax extended warranty runs out next November. I talked with some other warranty companies and we can easily get another three years of bumper to bumper coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    We are hunkering down waiting for better prices. Our solution is extended warranties. Our minivan is a 2014 and the CarMax extended warranty runs out next November. I talked with some other warranty companies and we can easily get another three years of bumper to bumper coverage.
    Roger, just be sure you carefully check out any company you are considering for an extended service contract (they are not "warranties" legally...they are technically insurance) to be sure they actually pay claims, etc. There are a lot of horror stories...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Roger, just be sure you carefully check out any company you are considering for an extended service contract (they are not "warranties" legally...they are technically insurance) to be sure they actually pay claims, etc. There are a lot of horror stories...

I have an extended warranty I purchased with my SUV new. I had a claim that was clearly a power train part. They denied the claim because the part was dirty/plugged up. That the reason the part goes bad in the first place. Car was always serviced as it should. In fact the dealer called me once saying I was having my oil changed too often. I said change it anyway.

Worked with a guy who found out his extended warranty did not cover any internal parts.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Brian, I know you're in the IT biz so you probably know about this. I'm not in that biz but follow it as a hobbyist. According to some publications, IC manufacturing investment has followed the latest, greatest, sexiest and most profitable. Capacity for old boring but still widely used chips has languished even as vehicles use ever more electronics. Guess what kind of chips are used in motor vehicles? Yup, the old boring kind. Capacity is being added but building a chip fab is neither quick nor cheap.

Ohio is working on it.
    https://time.com/6140476/intel-building-factory-ohio/
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    That is good news in a lot of ways.
    Regards,

Kris

As far as extended warranties go you're usually better off putting that same amount of money into a savings account to pay for repairs. You'll typically have all or most of your money still in the savings account at the time the warranty would have expired. There are certain models of vehicles that are prone to major repairs where it might make sense to buy the extended warranty.

Article in today's Wall Street Journal (02/09) about Ford and GM cracking down on dealers charging more than MSRP on new vehicles.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Article in today's Wall Street Journal (02/09) about Ford and GM cracking down on dealers charging more than MSRP on new vehicles.
    Interesting...I wonder just how much they can do about that since dealers are independent businesses and MSRP is "manufacturer's suggested retail price". I'll have to read that article. I do personally believe that there are too many dealers that are taking big advantage of folks as there is some percentage of buyers who are unfortunately in a position that they have to buy a vehicle due to circumstance. Painful...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

MSRP works both ways, over and under listed sticker price. However, I can see how the corporations might view their brand image being tarnished by predatory dealers upcharging by huge numbers. Of course, they might simply be irritated that the dealer is making the money rather than the producer themselves.
    The real customer disservice(?) comes from the huge prices on used cars. Buying a new vehicle right now is not bad IF you can find what you want and are selling a decent (or even not so decent) car. The net cost is not much different than years past. Buying a pre-owned car straight out remains an expensive proposition right now. The folks that are making out well are the ones coming off a lease with a much higher residual value than was forecast 3-4 years ago. They can buy the car at a market discount per their lease agreement and keep it, or turn around and sell for a profit (see buying new cars).

My stepson totaled his Hyundai about a month ago (other driver's fault thankfully) and has been shopping. I forget the exact verbiage but he said the dealers were jacking new prices at least $3000 over sticker and calling it something like a 'fair market value adjustment'.
    I have another name for it... bs.gif
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    If you haven't been getting a lot of phone calls about car warrantees, you are a most fortunate person.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you haven't been getting a lot of phone calls about car warrantees, you are a most fortunate person.

jtk
    That's a fact. NoMoRobo has been hearing from me a lot, reporting what I regard as scam calls.

I've been on a 3 year, new car buying cycle for at least thirty years now. About every three years, I buy a new rig. I have a small amount of each paycheck go into a seperate account that covers depreciation gap of the current vehicle's selling price, and the price of the new vehicle. I had planned to order a new rig and pick it up this spring. That's proving difficult, if not impossible. GM is not taking orders on 'new' trucks. They will let you 'reserve' one, but you can not order one, unless it is what they are calling a 2022 "limited" edition. This limited model is nothing more than a 2021 that they are selling as a 2022. Dodge (Ram), have a supply chain problem as well. You have to take whatever is on the lot. Can't order a new truck.

I suspect that when this supply chain problem resolves itself, there will be some serious inventory issues (a flood of new vehicles available), and it will be a good time to buy. Whenever that time may come, is hard to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I've been on a 3 year, new car buying cycle for at least thirty years now. About every three years, I buy a new rig. I have a small amount of each paycheck go into a seperate account that covers depreciation gap of the current vehicle's selling price, and the price of the new vehicle. I had planned to order a new rig and pick it up this spring. That's proving difficult, if not impossible. GM is not taking orders on 'new' trucks. They will let you 'reserve' one, but you can not order one, unless it is what they are calling a 2022 "limited" edition. This limited model is nothing more than a 2021 that they are selling as a 2022. Dodge (Ram), have a supply chain problem as well. You have to take whatever is on the lot. Can't order a new truck.

I suspect that when this supply chain problem resolves itself, there will be some serious inventory issues (a flood of new vehicles available), and it will be a good time to buy. Whenever that time may come, is hard to predict.
    I use the same approach but space it out a bit. Years ago when the last car payment was made I kept making them to the bank account while I drove the car another 5 years. When you're able to just write a check for the car it opens up some options.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.