Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a 1/8”-44 nf socket head cap screw or….

Blog Entries
    I know Im spending way too much time and money on this teeny tiny problem. This has become a quest for me. I must conquer this!!
    If the quest is worthy, (at least in the heart, soul and mind of one on a quest) neither the spending of time nor money is a great sacrifice. Conquering the difficulty is worth all.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

assuming you've already checked with sewing machine repair shops? This one has been helpful with parts: https://mosew.com
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 12-30-2021 at 12:13 PM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Regarding the tubing or straw slipped over the tip. If needed slit the tube length wise and tape it or heatshrink tube it down to a smaller diameter.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    assuming you've already checked with sewing machine repair shops? This one has been helpful with parts: https://mosew.com
    Stan,

Too funny! I lived in Overland Park for almost forty years. I know those folks well. Before the Sailrite, I had my mother-in-laws old Montgomery Ward machine from the ‘70s. Missouri Sewing Machine kept that thing running.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all that replied. I’m still going to pursue the socket cap screw because I just can’t admit defeat.

yesterday, I sacrificed a cheap screwdriver to the cause. I cut the shaft off the handle and turned the blade so it was cylindrical and matched the shaft diameter. Then I drilled a nice slip fit hole down the center of some 3/8” brass. I counterbored the end to match the screw diameter. Two set screws hold the sleeve on. I got rid of the handle so the shaft would fit in my little Sherline lathe. Not having the handle serves to limit torque.

It works just fine. I get a better feel for the torque than I did with the supplied screwdriver. So my solution solves for the torque issue better than Sailrite’s.

I don’t know why Sailrite was so unhelpful. They have a reputation for stellar customer service and all my interactions with them have been fantastic.

8FF82E71-6C41-412C-A8BD-2D6B915780D9.jpg

Looks like a good solution until you get the Allen head screws Roger. Nice shop project too.

McMaster-Carr catalog show #5-44 socket head screws of all sorts. #5 is 1/8".

Blog Entries
    I don’t know why Sailrite was so unhelpful. They have a reputation for stellar customer service and all my interactions with them have been fantastic.
    Sometimes the customer service people do not understand the situation as clearly as the person experiencing the difficulty.

With the aging of the sewing machine using demographic, they might benefit from a letter or email explaining the problem for people with hand tremors and your solutions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

like your solution
    wonder if a drop of hot glue on screwdriver tip would work
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    McMaster-Carr catalog show #5-44 socket head screws of all sorts. #5 is 1/8".
    If you read back through the posts you will see this was covered. Post #5 actually. However "great mind think alike". Or fools never differ. One of those works. Happy New Year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    like your solution
    wonder if a drop of hot glue on screwdriver tip would work
    Ron
    Hot glue on a screw would be fine for an installation. But the needle screw is loosened every time you change needles which is fairly often. I change thread from very light to very heavy and you use different size needles for different weights. This is not entirely dissimilar to changing bits in a drill press.

Blog Entries
    HA!
    THE 5-44 cap head screw worked and will very neatly solve my problem. Thanks to all for putting me on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    HA!
    THE 5-44 cap head screw worked and will very neatly solve my problem. Thanks to all for putting me on the right track.

Super! Glad that it was the answer to your issue. A thread about thread with a happy conclusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Super! Glad that it was the answer to your issue. A thread about thread with a happy conclusion.
    Yep, sure beats a sharpening thread, those never seem to have a happy conclusion.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yep, sure beats a sharpening thread, those never seem to have a happy conclusion.

jtk
    Those tend to be gritty and abrasive.