While back we picked up a Jet 1236 lathe at an auction. Woodworking tooling but this metal lathe got no action so grabbed it. It only gets period use making occasional drill bushings, hardware standoffs, etc. in steel and aluminum. Long before this lathe I had bought a large box of high speed steel tools when we had a smaller crude lathe and have always been grinding my own high speed tooling when needed.

I'd like to buy some insert tooling but have absolutely no idea where to start. My thought was holders that used the most economical inserts that could be flipped/rotated the most and used between different holders (being cheap). But we have a project coming up that we will at the least be making several different standoffs for the prototypes then farming out the actual production and Im looking to buy some insert holders and inserts.

I know its a broad question but does anyone have any recommendations on a group of holders or a general kit? I dont think we will ever do a lot of single point threading but a threading tool(s) may be good to have as well. I have 10 or so CXA holders for the tool post and built a simple rack behind the lathe (a-la-tom lipton) but Im clueless as to where to start with insert tooling.