Thread: All around insert tooling

All around insert tooling

While back we picked up a Jet 1236 lathe at an auction. Woodworking tooling but this metal lathe got no action so grabbed it. It only gets period use making occasional drill bushings, hardware standoffs, etc. in steel and aluminum. Long before this lathe I had bought a large box of high speed steel tools when we had a smaller crude lathe and have always been grinding my own high speed tooling when needed.

I'd like to buy some insert tooling but have absolutely no idea where to start. My thought was holders that used the most economical inserts that could be flipped/rotated the most and used between different holders (being cheap). But we have a project coming up that we will at the least be making several different standoffs for the prototypes then farming out the actual production and Im looking to buy some insert holders and inserts.

I know its a broad question but does anyone have any recommendations on a group of holders or a general kit? I dont think we will ever do a lot of single point threading but a threading tool(s) may be good to have as well. I have 10 or so CXA holders for the tool post and built a simple rack behind the lathe (a-la-tom lipton) but Im clueless as to where to start with insert tooling.

Mark, I buy most of my lathe and mill tooling from KBC Tools mostly because their brand items are reasonably priced but mostly because they are local to me. The shipping is reasonable though if you chose to look at their stock. As far as insert carbide tooling I've bought some from Shars and had good luck with them. I have BXA holders for my 11" Logan which are limited to 1/2" shanks. You want the largest shank size you can fit in your CXA holders for rigidity and I think that would be 5/8". Here is a decent set from Shars - https://www.shars.com/5-8-indexable-...g-tool-set-1-1

I am not an expert in the knowledge of carbide inserts but when you look at the budget priced ones there seems to be some that have gray colored carbide inserts and some that have gold colored ones. I can tell you from my experience that the gold colored ones hold up better. A bonus with carbide tooling is that you can run your lathe at a higher RPM.

In theory a round insert can be rotated to expose. a fresh cutting edge infinitely. I would get a simple triangle insert with a mounting hole. Even Harbor fright sells some. BXA or CXA if you want a QC tool post. A old lantern tool post is much cheaper and more versatile but the tool has to be reset every time you switch tools.
    That lathe is probably under powered and too slow to make carbide a good choice financially.
    Bill D

I would Love to have that Jet lathe, I looked high and low to find a good used one but ended up with a Grizzly 9x20. Shars is a good source, and I pay more for what I buy at Little Machine Shop buts its top of the line stuff. Look for triangle insert tooling prices first before springing for one particular brand or type.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Do not get fooled by cheap Sandvik tool holders. Many take custom inserts only sold by them. Before you buy any toolholder check insert prices on the bay from china. If the bay does not have several sellers of that insert pass up that toolholder.
    Bill D