Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My most extravagant shop purchase, for a hobbyist

My most extravagant shop purchase, for a hobbyist

Building a bedroom set with an upright chest 48" tall. Did not want to crawl around on the concrete floor of my basement shop putting on guides and adjust drawers etc... So I bought this at harbor freight. Not sure how much I will use it, smaller shorter items I can work on my assembly table, but this time it was nice to just raise the work as I went. Added a wider/longer plywood top to it to hold the dresser.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

Brian
    Brian

I bought one years ago and use it all the time. I built a taller top for it so I can raise it to the exact height of my assembly table and table saw. It's especially useful for unloading sheet goods. Just raise it up to the level of the truck bed and slide the sheets onto the table, then roll them to the slider. I'd like to remove the handle and figure out a way to relocate the release trigger.

I have yet to do something about removing the handlebar and relocating the cylinder release, but valuable in my shop and unloading my van.

I bought the very same cart from Northern Tool, though not at as good of price. Very useful. When I get a spare couple of days I want to build a couple of tables, maybe with removable sides, that are just high enough that the cart will fit under. Then I can move piles of parts and pieces around as I need them.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I'm a big fan of adjustable height work surfaces in the shop...that shouldn't come as a surprise since I've probably mentioned it about ten billion times over the years. LOL. Why strain one's back or have to lie on the floor to do something when there are solutions to remove those challenges?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had a couple of those cheap guys for quite a while now. Never was able to get them to maintain height. Pinched the heck out of my arm on about the third attempt at bleeding the air out. Got tired of the fight and have been stuck using wood blocks to jamb the wheels in the bottom track to hold them up. They'd be perfect if they could stay elevated.
    (Yes, I'd welcome any insights on fixing this overwhelmingly common issue with these cheap lift tables)

Brian
    I've had that same hydraulic cart for many years now. I've never regretted purchasing it one bit.
    Mine won't hold it's elevated position overnight, but is does lock out at the top if I need to do that.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Same unit, great bank for the buck. It can be fickle on the overnight gig, sometimes holds tight, others less so. Regardless it is a very handy unit.

Not really all that expensive (or extravagant) as there are other uses for sure. I just don't have room in my shop for another tool that takes up floor space.

If this is your most extravagant purchase, maybe it's time to loosen up. Looks like a great value.

LOL. Hardly extravagant in my book. I have the Northern Tool 1000# model and use it everyday. I put a slightly larger MDF top on mine to give it a little more horizontal surface area, as it were. Mine holds the same height overnight and beyond.

I have posted this a few other times here, but I also have a larger scissor lift (electric / hydraulic) that I use as an assembly table / workbench and it has changed my life and was worth every penny, modification, and the months of searching to find the right deal. My shop is tiny (~500 sq ft) and I make room for this lift and will never give it up. It’s a better work surface than the smaller foot pump cart, which excels more as a parts cart of for wheeling / moving heavy stuff around smaller spaces than a big workbench.

Having adjustable height work surfaces and carts is worth a great deal to me and the way I work alone in my small shop.
    Still waters run deep.

You all have convinced me. I will be picking one up from craigs list on Friday. 770 pound capacity. About 2x3 feet top. Made in japan. Brand is Southworth. How easy was it to remove the handle so it will fit under my camper shell?
    Bill D.

PS: The model name is "Dandylift" LOL. So it must be good!
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-04-2022 at 9:42 PM.

I actually like the 1000lb cart HF sells over the 500lb one. The casters are larger and the handle folds down out of the way if needed. Unfortunately every time I've thought about getting one while at a HF store I haven't had room. The one downside is that the 500lb cart is a little under 100lbs while the 1000lb cart is close to 200lbs in the box.

Phillip,

What brand/model is the blue one you picture, and where did you get it? How big is the table?

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I bought a bunch of these from Grizzly a few years ago when they were closing them out. Some are red, and some are green. I use some of them for supporting sanders, grinders, and other larger tools - makes them mobile and can adjust to just the right height I need for a particular tool. I put blocks into the mechanism to keep them from slowly lowering when they loose pressure. I have also used them many times for unloading heavy equipment from the back of my truck.

David

20171124_005332_resized_2.jpg20171124_010738_resized_1.jpg