Thread: Speeding up a 3D project

Speeding up a 3D project

I own a Stinger 1 and am currently working on a 3D topographic carving. It is an 8+ hr cut with a tapered ball nose. I am using a raster cut. At each end of the x-axis cut, the router stops and raises up, then back down to start the next pass. This takes a lot of time. I was hoping that I could get the router to move back and forth without all the up and down. I am using an offset so I have clearance for the tool beyond the material boundary.

I tried zeroing out the Z heights which Vcarve Pro would not accept. Is it possible to eliminate this extra movement or is it a built in characteristic of Vcarve Pro (or WinCNC)? Any help would be appreciated.

You can ask on the VCarve forum (super smart folks there) but I typically setup a job boundary outside the topo which eliminates the tool hitting the edge of the boundary so it doesnt retract.

This is set in Vcarve, the machine only does what it is told look at the material setup in to tool pathing

aspire.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    This is set in Vcarve, the machine only does what it is told look at the material setup in to tool pathing

aspire.JPG

Got it. But why can't I set these to zero?

The toolpathing is a Vectric setup. While i am on Beta team I am just an end user like you. as was suggested you may need to go to the Vectric forum for that answer. I have large servo machines so the speed has never been a problem for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    Got it. But why can't I set these to zero?
    You dont need to set them to zero. You just need to set an outbound boundary so the tool never picks up

Perhaps this video will make make things clearer. Trying to minimize the "up and down" at the end of each pass.

I know on the OneFinity, this is referred to as the Jerk setting, I think it is a machine configurable setting.

Try doing what Mark mentioned...create a vector boundary and have the roughing and finish 3D cuts set to use that vector boundary. There should be no lifting at the direction change of the raster.

Also, you do not want those parameters noted by Mr McGrew set to zero ever. Nasty things can happen as they help insure that the tool doesn't inadvertently whack into your workpiece or hold-downs when doing rapid movements or at the beginning of a toolpath.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have set a vector boundary 1/2" to the outside of the material boundary. I am using a 3/8" bit, so I would assume plenty of clearance. My material thickness is 1.75" and my Z is currently at 0.1". It appears that the bit is raising above the material by 0.1" at each end of each pass.....my question is "Does the bit need to raise itself above the material at every pass, especially given that the bit is outside the material boundary at each pass"? In other words, why can't the bit just move in the opposite direction at the end of each pass without raising up and down?
    Last edited by Bob Falk; 12-29-2021 at 8:45 PM.

Why is your vector boundary so far out away from the material boundary? Something is telling me that is related to the behavior you are experiencing. Try moving the vector boundary so it's no larger than the material and for the fastest cut times, it should be the minimal size it needs to be for you to actually cut the 3D toolpath(s).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I will try that, but my reasoning was that I wanted to tool to clear the edge of the material as I didn't want an edge of wood that the tool would run into.