Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side Tool Identification

Blog Entries
    These are the largest double hung windows I've ever seen, and only in this picture.
    A friend of mine many years ago called those "pioneer" windows. The point being they were popular before electric lighting. The taller the window the more light could come in while the sun was up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Warren, Tom, many thanks for your clear explanation.
    I can finally picture the use of this tool.
    It is peculiar this tool seems unknown in the US, I believe this is not shop made, no parts seems to be reused from something else, and it is extremely well built.
    Maybe it was a small production from a UK tool maker as a test as Jim suggested.
    I could also think the tool was made for a left handed user!

Anyway, many thanks to all for your input, I consider this mystery of mine solved thanks to you!
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 01-11-2022 at 5:05 AM.

Coming back to this thread with a final info.

Last Summer I was visiting the amazing folk Museum "Gamle By" in Aarhus, Denmark.

I saw a lot of really nice tools and specialized workshops.
    Inside one of the Museum buildings, there is an actual "living" upholstery shop and as I passed and checked the planes shelf, my eyes were attracted to a specific tool:

I then asked the lady working there on re upholstering an armchair if she could show it to me:

So here was sitting the exact same tool as mine in Denmark again.
    Unfortunately the lady did not have a clue about all these tools.

I then realised that if nobody knew the tool on this very forum it was maybe not from the english speaking world after all.
    I decided to contact probably one of the wisest man when it comes to wooden planes from the north of Europe, Wolfgang Jordan from holzwerken.

Wolfgang is sharing his knowledge without sparing through his website and advising authors writing books about planes...such as the Bible for french woodies.

And he confirmed this tool was exactely to do what Rafael, Warren and Tom suspected, and was really specific to the North of Germany only and Denmark.
    He provided me with a catalogue link on his website where we can see the very plane.

Mystery solved!

Many thanks Wolfgang and everybody here for your help in my investigations!
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 09-29-2022 at 3:50 AM.

There were sash coping planes made in the United States in the 19th century.

Great find, and detective work Axel!

Thanks Tom!