Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What's the name of this panel style?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Ogden, UT

    What's the name of this panel style?

    I generally build what I want before worrying about the nomenclature. What is a panel called when it uses both stiles and rails and the panel is flush to both faces of the stiles / rails (i.e. one thickness throughout panel)? I've certainly built one, but I'm not sure what it's called.

    I Googled flush panel woodworking stiles and rails... nothing really comes up. It would have to be called something similar, I would think.

    Exposed panel _ Unfinished_small.jpg
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 12-28-2021 at 3:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Not sure what that’s called. Is the panel a veneered ply/mdf?

    I have done solid wood panels on custom interior doors in a somewhat similar style, but there are reveals due to the expansion and contraction of the solid wood panels. It creates a pleasing shadow line / negative space around the panel (that changes a little bit side to side through the humidity changes in a year) but still looks nice, modern and clean and everything is square edged and not molded, rounded, or beveled.

    It’s nice to have something delineate the space and difference between rails/stiles and a panel, in my opinion. Just gives it some depth and interest, though I don’t really have traditional tastes and generally dislike heavily ornamental moldings / copes, but everyone’s different.

    Is this door going to be painted or clear / stain finished?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Ogden, UT
    veneered mdf.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Ogden, UT
    I like the doors. I also tend to not have traditional outlooks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    I don't know what the name is if there is a formal name. But I'd call it a flush panel. If it's solid stock, there kinda needs to be a groove/reveal to accommodate wood movement. If it's veneered composite, I believe you can have everything tight.

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  6. #6
    When dealing with contractors, we referred to panel faces a little lower than frame as “standard” . Panel faces same height as panel frame
    as “ flush raise”. Panel face about 1/4 inch above frame as “off-set” panels”. I would not be surprised if all 3 types have different titles
    in other shops. If there is no standard nomenclature in your town to explain to customers who are shopping what panel type ,or types you
    offer. It is possible that one of the trade associations has a system now considered the “right one” for all good “professional” box makers.
    If they do….then copy it so that you can hear and absorb newly invented panel processes !

  7. #7
    Andrew, if the panel you show is all same thickness at every point ,it is something I have not seen before. The name I’m gonna use is….
    ”me no like type panel”.

  8. #8
    It's a good idea to keep those veneered panels exactly even or just a scosh lower than the frames and have accurate registration at the corners or risk sanding through when levelling the stile and rail joints. A small reveal such as Philip shows is more tolerant of minor inaccuracies. The first design Andrew shows could be done as well with a veneer sketch face.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    It could be considered a slab panel.

  10. #10
    I’m sorry for being so far afield with my first post . When I saw a reply with photo of doors, I thought we were being asked about panel
    work. Never crossed my mind that that piece of plywood was the “panel”.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    I do these, and have a cutter set for them. It is called a 'Shaker' cutter set. There is an undercut wing on the cutter to determine the offset between the panel and rail/style face plane.

    For whatever that is worth, a different manf may call it something else. Really just a tongue/groove setup and can run all the pieces the same setup.

    One thing I like to do on these is use spacers in the groove the panel rides in. Something compressible. So that when the panel moves it does so uniformly since the gap is really noticeable when more on one side than the other.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 12-29-2021 at 6:43 AM.

  12. #12
    Thos Moser does what Phillip shows only with a bevel or cove cant remember I just do a cove like that on back solid panels with flat front.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Is the back of the panel rabbeted all around so the back is flush with the inside rails and stiles? Other than that, I have always thought they were called raised panels and many cove profiles are common. Freud used to make a set of router bits that included the back cutter.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

  14. #14
    Since it's your creation, you could simply call it a Whicker style door!

    But seriously - it just is not any type of readily identifiable "traditional" door build. It is quite simply a slab door that happens to have extra wide edging.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts