Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I have a 6" do I need a 5" ROS?

If I have a 6" do I need a 5" ROS?

I picked up a Ridgid 6" ROS a couple/three years ago to use sanding down floors in a house my wife and I we rehabbing.
    I already had a DeWalt 5" single speed.

The DeWalt has seen better days and the pad needs replaced now. I can't see sticking that much money into an old single speed sander that doesn't do all that great - and never really did.

Since I have the 6" Ridgid - which is a really great tool - do I need a 5" ROS too?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have three 6" Festool sanders and no 5" sander. I believe the larger the sanding pad the flatter the surface. For tighter areas I use a small Festool rectangular sander. I would want the square pad for corners anyway. So, I have sandpaper in 6" round and small rectangular. I've lusted after the 5" Festool with the 90 degree edge attachment but then I'd also have an inventory of 5" sandpaper.

Both of my Festool sanders are 6". The only time I've wished for a smaller one is "occasionally" on my guitar work. Otherwise, no issue. So the answer to your question really comes down to the actual work you do...would you benefit from a smaller pad in enough situations to warrant both the tool and the disposables?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No. Why stock two sizes"

I have a 6" and two 5". I find the 6" only useful for large flat surfaces. Anything smaller than a table top, its too hard to balance and too aggressive. And you can one-hand the 5" if necessary. A pro would have a different experience.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Totally dependent on the size of work you do. Some people even have a 3", like me for sanding the inside of large bowls.

Definitely don't need 5" if you are comfortable with the 6". Orbit size is more of a reason to branch out than pad diameter. It is nice to use a smaller, lighter sander if you're doing a lot of edges or such where you have to deal with supporting the weight and size of the machine. If you have the compressor capacity, I'd save up for a 5" air sander for these scenarios and just use the 6" in the meantime

I mostly use my ROS for instrument building, so 5" is all I have since I need to be able to run it with one hand and hold and turn the wood parts with the other hand. If you don't feel a need for a 5" I wouldn't get one, I'm sure a 6" is handier for larger jobs.

Im with Stan, Both 5's and 6's here. I would not want to run the 6" for day to day work. Sanding a bunch of molding, rail and stile work, etc.. The 5" sanders get the workout day in and day out. 6" for larger flat work.

No. I've only ever had 6" sanders and never wanted a slightly smaller one. As far as I can tell they are only slower. However, that said, small ROSs in the 1-3" range are incredibly useful for both curved work and getting into smaller places. I got a 2" pneumatic ROS for bowls, but now find myself grabbing it for all kinds of things. Of course now I need a bigger compressor...

I never thought I needed a 5" ROS until I needed to do the edges of some table tops, so I got a low vibration Bosch model and it was the bomb for that application. It's also much better sanding faceframes and anything where balance would be an issue with the 6". It's surprising how much smaller and more balanced the 5" feels in my hand.

Also, some sanding media only is available in 5". Before I bought the 5" sander I bought a 5" pad for my 6" sander in order to use those media. With 2 sanders that would be unnecessary.

John

Blog Entries
    I got a 6" & now the 5" rarely gets used. It's sometimes nice to have because of the smaller size, but if I didn't already have it, I wouldn't go out & get one.

i have a few 5" sanders. They are very useful to me, as I like to sand a routed edge on case goods and many other profiles. I have a 6" Festool; however, it rarely gets used. Too hard to control on small objects. It was great when I resurfaced my 8' cherry dining room table, though!

Well there's always the option if you have a sander you like but it has a size pad you don't, why not change the pad? I had one I did that to and I'm happy with the results.

why not change the pad
    DeWalt charges an insane price for a 5" pad.
    The pad alone for a $59 single speed 5" DeWalt is over $20.
    Pity - i was a decent tool for a cheapie.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...