Some of you may recall my post this summer about the difficulties in ordering a new 18" bandsaw given the pandemic's effect on the global supply chain and shipping. I made a joke about having bought myself a Christmas present, but my Rikon 10-347 did, in fact, arrive on December 24th! Getting it off the pallet and assembled made me feel old and tired, but it's looking good. Overall, I'm glad I took the advice and waited (tip 'o the hat to Eric Loza).

Some interesting issues that have arisen:

1. I had some 30a 240 lines run in the Spring in my garage - having no idea what machinery I might get, the electrician defaulted to a 4-wire, NEMA 14-30 outlet. The Rikon has a three-wire power cord. I think I'll get an RV 1 ft extension cord with a 4-pronged plug and a 3-pronged outlet. Next time the electrician is out for something, I'll have him swap out the outlet itself.

2. I had a Grizzly heavy duty base handy, but it doesn't have "legs", so while it has no problem with the bandsaw's weight, there still is some movement with the bandsaw. I broke down and ordered the mobility kit - I thought of getting another bear crawl 4-swivel base (I have one on my tablesaw that I like), but went with the tried and true instead (same price). If I move the bandsaw a lot, I may reconsider, as my one-car garage is tight.

3. It came with a generic 1/2" blade. I was thinking a 3/4" woodslicer for resawing, and a timberwolf for general purpose. While the Rikon supposedly can take up to a 1 and 3/8th blade, I'm not sure it can tension a blade like that. Does anyone with a Rikon 10-347 or similar have a favorite blade they'd recommend?

4. While wrestling it off the pallet and onto the mobile base, a black plastic knob went bouncing along the floor. It looks like one of the adjusters for the blade guides - but they're all still there. Staring at the manual and parts diagram has not revealed any missing knobs. I have no idea where it came from . . .

IMG_4552.jpgbandsaw.jpg