Thread: Recommendations for a Rip tooth Dozuki on Amazon

Recommendations for a Rip tooth Dozuki on Amazon

Hi, I hope I am not breaking any rules here (if I am I will take the post down). I bought a dozuki saw a while back and was going to use it for dovetailing when I discovered it was crosscut tooth configuration.

anyone know any decent rip cut dozuki for dovetailing?
    (before anyone recommends western saws, I am dying to get my hands on one but I blew my saw budget for a while, so I am looking for a dozuki to get things done in the mean time).

P.S. I asked about Amazon because they ship for free to Israel, otherwise the price of the saw is generally double with shipping.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Howdy Assaf, my search was on > japanese dovetail saw < on Google.

This is what showed up for Amazon's offering >

https://www.amazon.com/Razorsaw-Dove...df_B01B4ZYRIA/

My knowledge of Japanese saws is ziltch. There are three in my shop that do not see a lot of use.

As with most things on Amazon there are a lot of others listed lower down on the page.

Someone else may be able to offer their wisdom on whether this is a better saw than the ones listed below it for less cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Assaf,

Depending on which dozuki you bought, if it has a fine enough tooth count you should have no problem rip cutting dovetails. I have a dozuki with hardened teeth and it cuts both rip and cross for dovetails. It does have a very fine tooth count though

I have some of the Suizan saws from Amazon. They are decent for the price. The teeth are finer than Western saws so they cut a bit slowly. If you accept that and don't try and rush it, they do a good job of keeping to the line. Of course, that is easier with a more coarse Western saw that requires fewer stroked that can go awry.

The saw jim listed is a really great saw. Gyokucho is definitely the brand you wanna go with for this level of saw.

This particular saw is really nice and light for dovetail work. If you have the time, watch the Andrew Hunter video on Fine Woodworking regarding the use of Japanese saws. He demonstrates how to saw without a vise. This also puts you in a position to keep your cut super accurate.

One down side could be that a coping saw might not fit in the kerf as well as a kerf from a western saw. I’d recommend the Christian Becksvoort video on dovetails regarding chopping out the waste. He shows just how quick and easy it can be, and fun!

I found one on hand planes, not saws

I'd appreciate a link?

Gyokucho #372 would be the rip dozuki recommended.

I actually own the 372 and 311. I like the 311 much more. 372 could be nice for larger work(over 1” or so), but I guess either would do well once you are accustomed to it. I just find the 311 easier to wield.
    Last edited by chuck van dyck; 12-27-2021 at 10:39 PM.

+1 for the Gyokucho 311 "Sunchild"

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Patterson View Post
    Gyokucho #372 would be the rip dozuki recommended.
    I used that one for a long time for dovetailing, it works great. I've mostly switched to western saws now.

This David Barron video might give you some more info

Japanese saws for handcut dovetails - YouTube
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    This David Barron video might give you some more info

Japanese saws for handcut dovetails - YouTube

Thanks, I will watch it!

+1 on the Gyokucho 372. The kerf is indeed narrow, but just wide enough for a .015" thick #7 fret saw blade to fit and get a cut started.

I just ordered this replacement blade for mine off Amazon and am extremely happy with it. Very fine and narrow, cut beautifully in hard maple.

Replacement Blade For Dozuki Japanese Dovetail Saw - Handsaws - Amazon.com