Thread: 3D printer file sharing?

3D printer file sharing?

Is there any interest (or even a good idea) for a place here to share 3D printer files? (or possibly even Gcode)

There are some great sharing sites that have anything and everything, but I would be interested in what the members here may have found useful. (the great thing about the internet is the volume of information, the pita about the internet is the volume of information)

For example I did some ductwork adapters. For flex hose but also sewer pipe to metal clamp together for dust collection. And some clamp racks. Likely will make some clips to hold track saw on the wall. oh, and a battery charger wall mount (Makita).

Am happy to share/post these if anyone wanted. (else thingiverse and yeggi is the go to)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Is there any interest (or even a good idea) for a place here to share 3D printer files? (or possibly even Gcode)
    I don't know, I've had good luck finding specialty things on the existing sites. Seems like you could add appropriate tags on Thingiverse. Maybe woodworking, dust collector, ductwork, etc.

I've been able to find things by trying a few different words in a search. For example, the designer of a morse taper cleaner used the tags "lathe morse taper woodturning"

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't know, I've had good luck finding specialty things on the existing sites. Seems like you could add appropriate tags on Thingiverse. Maybe woodworking, dust collector, ductwork, etc.

I've been able to find things by trying a few different words in a search. For example, the designer of a morse taper cleaner used the tags "lathe morse taper woodturning"
    I agree, and have been able to find a number of different items. It can take some sorting through the choices. Or making my own. Unless a number of members here use 3D printers it likely doesnt make sense. So was just a question, since I could imagine some basics that might be common to many members (chisel holders/drawer organizer, track saw wall holder, cordless drill holder, charger, battery organizers, Other might be more specialized like ductwork adapters, etc). I always appreciate insight and recommendations from members here vs random searches of my own. I could post on thingiverse and tag - but generally dont. Likely would post here if interest (may be some strange psychology)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I agree, and have been able to find a number of different items. It can take some sorting through the choices. Or making my own. Unless a number of members here use 3D printers it likely doesnt make sense. So was just a question, since I could imagine some basics that might be common to many members (chisel holders/drawer organizer, track saw wall holder, cordless drill holder, charger, battery organizers, Other might be more specialized like ductwork adapters, etc). I always appreciate insight and recommendations from members here vs random searches of my own. I could post on thingiverse and tag - but generally dont. Likely would post here if interest (may be some strange psychology)
    One advantage to posting on Thingiverse is a HUGE audience from all over. The audience here is by nature fairly limited. Making a searchable repository here might involve some significant programming to search and provide a means to save and download gcode and STL files. And it could add to the overall good of the woodworking community, especially as people make, modify, and post remixes. And you might get famous and wealthy! Or at least famous!

Something that might help SMCers who have 3D printers would be a thread that could include photos and links and discussion about woodworking-related models you and others create. Maybe it would be worth having a separate sub-forum here for 3D printing, similar to those other special interest subject like laser engraving, CDC machines, and sign making. A sub-forum could be created quickly and wouldn't require any special programming.

Maybe set up a poll in Off-Topic to get an idea of many people might be interested? I know there are some 3D printing enthusiasts here and others interested but I have no idea if it is 10 people, 100, 1000...

I think hosting stl and CAD files might be a bit of a stretch for this site, both from a hardware and maintenance standpoint.

I do like the idea of a 3D Printing for the Woodshop subforum though. Post a photo of something useful along with a link to a download site like Thingaverse or Thangs or Prusa etc.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Post a photo of something useful along with a link to a download site like Thingaverse or Thangs or Prusa etc.
    This is what I am after - general great ideas on useful items you have printed as like minded woodworkers. (I dont know what I dont know, and run into some ideas that are great that I would have never thought of on my own!). A recent print for hanging small F clamps attached.

There is a famous saying: "There are no new ideas..."

66233015269__F73161BC-657F-4B11-84D1-C600D4D4027B.jpg66240008501__3007B366-25EB-4CF9-8C44-66F21F4EDDC8.jpg66240014262__0B5AE95B-FFC7-41B5-AB25-FC0BCE9D6064.jpg

(ok, these images are being contrary to get right side up... I need to research how to make that happen rotating the original isnt doing it)
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 12-29-2021 at 7:11 AM.

My various dust collection adapters etc are not on Thingaverse, but I would have no problem sharing them. I'll look into putting them on Thingaverse and then posting a link for those that might be interested.

Thingiverse is great for sharing. You can also find a lot on Etsy(most arent too expensive).

I have been using tinkercad to modify other designs or make my own designs. It is a super basic web based design program that lets you import/export stl's. It works by adding and subtracting shapes(very basic)

I have used many different CAD programs over the years.

I recommend Onshape for those looking to get into one. Free for educational use, and is designed as an online collaborative/sharing platform. Runs smoothly in a browser. My personal opinion is that in time it will overtake SolidWorks.

Im not buying or selling design files, just interested in what others have come up with as useful. Looking forward to seeing some of Lisa's files.