Thread: Finish For Kitchen Drawers

Finish For Kitchen Drawers

The drawers in our kitchen are 16 yrs old and pretty beaten up. They were originally stained and coated with pre-catalyzed lacquer. I'd like to use some type of semi-gloss white products this time around. The main requirement is that it be "tough as nails". I'm considering Target's Em6500 WB bright white lacquer but was also wondering if there is a product from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore that might be equivalent or better. I'm going to try to spray the product with my Fuji Mighty Mite 4 sprayer.
    What do you think?

If you can spray solvent based then take a look at MegaVar from Lenmar which is available at/through BM.

John

John I did a small project using Lenmar Ultralaq this fall. The result was beautiful but found the product difficult to shoot through a turbine HVLP system. It dried extremely fast and the overspray was EVERYWHERE in my basement ! I kinda figured a product like this would filter to the top of the list. Any idea if the Ultralaq and MegaVar are fairly similar?

I'm not sure how different they would behave in your turbine, Ken. I think the MegaVar is a slightly slower drying product, but that's just a guess. From your description of the problems you had with Ultralaq it sounds like you need to use some retarder, and that could be the case with MegaVar, too.

John

Thanks for your feedback John. Can Floetrol be used as a retarder or is there a better product for MegaVar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    Thanks for your feedback John. Can Floetrol be used as a retarder or is there a better product for MegaVar?
    Floetrol is for WB products. MegaVar is solvent based. You should only use Lenmar's Retarder with it.

Speaking of Floetrol, I've never found it helpful when spraying. I often use BM's Extender with WB paints and GF's Extender with WB clearcoats, however, and both work really well to increase the open time to allow finishes to flow out. They especially help when spraying at elevated temperature and/or low humidity, and I think would be very beneficial for folks using a turbine unit.

John

Just as an aside since you mentioned EM6500 in the OP, you can use Target's crosslinker with that for a more durable solution, both in the EM6500 and the EM6000/EM7000HB clear if you choose to use that on top for extra measure. BTW, if you can shoot EM6500, which is pretty vicious stuff, through your Turbine, I would hope you'd be able to shoot the other products that are under consideration, too. EM6500 is a lot more viscous than the clears.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John I meant to say Penetrol. I just had a brain freeze.

Jim, what N/N setup do you use to spray EM6500? Does the cross linker make it even more viscous?
    I just finished spraying EM 9300 on the doors and used a 1.3 N/N set. It went on quite well with just a bit of thinning. I also have a 1.8 set.

If you want to stick with target spray a pigmented base and then run his 9300 with additive. Their 9300 with the crosslinker is close to as tough to wear but not quite to MLC's 2K water but the bonus is no ISO and its UV stabilized (which doesnt matter for a drawer). The 9300 has been one of the most bullet proof cost effective clears Ive found and run it normally without the crosslinker but if you add it in its pretty bomb proof. (sorry just saw your post about running the 9300.. thats my default clear now. Catalyze it the night before and it comes back almost to pre-cat)
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-29-2021 at 2:45 PM.

Mark, do you put EM9300 over pigmented lacquer? It's pretty amber and must shift the color quite a bit, no?

John

John, I'd hesitate to put the EM9300 over pigmented finish for the reason you state...color shift. The EM6000 and EM7000HB are very durable, especially with the crosslinker, and are "water clear". I do agree with Mark that the EM9300 is the most durable, however, which should be expected from a polyester product if done correctly.
    --

Blog Entries
    I spray a lot of ultralaq, with a turbine. You need a few % retarder depending on air temp. Hot days I'll use up to 7-8%.

Okay, trying to understand these products, EM9300, EM6000, who makes these?

The abbreviations, for the uneducated, like me, make these threads almost worthless, and yet I can see great information is being discussed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Okay, trying to understand these products, EM9300, EM6000, who makes these?

The abbreviations, for the uneducated, like me, make these threads almost worthless, and yet I can see great information is being discussed.

Thanks
    Target Coatings...oft discussed brand here.
    --